12v adaptor to run sat nav kit - recommendations please

Corners R Us

I'm about to lead a group of us on a 2-day rideout around mid/north Wales and want to use a sat nav kit on my bike to avoid too many wrong turns and cries of 'never let this man lead us again'! So can any of the PB massive recommend me a good 12v cigarette adaptor I can wire directly onto my battery terminals? I've already got a CTEK outlet and heated grips wired off it, will it be OK to put another set of connectors onto the terminals?

Bike is a 98 TRX 850.

Pointers appreciated, Corners

if your mounting it permanently then take your feed for it from the input wire of the front brake light switch and a good chassis earth , then it is a switched live jobby with no chance of you leaving it on accidently , do the same for your heated grips

well, i just bought such a device off banofee. i'll let you know what it is like when it turns up!

Hopefully soon as posted it today :eusa_whistle:

Never used it but it was to plug into the optimate leave on the bike lead. I now use CTEK chargers too and have made up a lead to plug into theirs for my tomtom power.

I emailed CTEK and asked them nicely if they had any spare male connectors to make mine up... they sent me a couple free of charge :) Great service!

I also got mine from Nippy Normans as at the time they were rare but quite common place now. They do a marine one on ebay IIRC.

I had mine behind the fairing to keep it dry, worked with no issues at all and was quick to remove when stopped up etc.

DSC_1115-1.jpg

DSC_1116-1.jpg

I've used one of Vehicle Wiring Products weatherproof connectors powered off the front brake light switch as ronenige suggested above. Got this set up on the Mille and the VFR.

@ Corners: what model is the sat nav - is it a bike specific one or are you using a car one.

how are you going to mount it [arf!] any thoughts on that?

Thanks to all who've responded thus far, some useful thoughts/options provided.

I have a TomTom One for the car. My mounting options/thoughts are to get some good foam, cut out a recess for it and stick it in my Oxford magnetic map holder. Or in my tank bag that I'll be using for the weekend. Or borrow my mates TomTom Rider with Bluetooth which is probably the preferred option....or get him to lead once I've programmed the route in and let everyone harrass him when we take a wrong turn!!

Corners

I also got mine from Nippy Normans as at the time they were rare but quite common place now. They do a marine one on ebay IIRC.

I had mine behind the fairing to keep it dry, worked with no issues at all and was quick to remove when stopped up etc.

DSC_1115-1.jpg

DSC_1116-1.jpg

Very neat install. Like the way you've suckered it to the clock. I presume it stayed put? Off to have a look see if thats viable on my TRX.

Corners

I used an Optimate charger socket for my garmin satnav, means only 1 lead from the battery for charging + satnav.

As I use the satnav on my 2 roadbikes I only need a balljoint thing on each bike and the charger socket - just swap the cradle over when needed...

Hopefully soon as posted it today :)

Never used it but it was to plug into the optimate leave on the bike lead. I now use CTEK chargers too and have made up a lead to plug into theirs for my tomtom power.

I emailed CTEK and asked them nicely if they had any spare male connectors to make mine up... they sent me a couple free of charge ;) Great service!

Looks like CTEK do one now:

http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/ctek-56573.php

Not cheap mind!!

Corners

I love the Internet! Same adaptors on eGay for a £10 with no P&P. Result!

Very neat install. Like the way you've suckered it to the clock. I presume it stayed put? Off to have a look see if thats viable on my TRX.

Corners

It stayed put on there for ages, I changed the set up onto another bike and rode when it was really cold and it did come off.

Although that sucker was just a push one, the more modern ones seem to suck on then twist and lock so maybe they are much better.

On ebay, I noticed they sell all sorts of mounting kits, you maybe able to attach to a fairing stay or other braket better.

I am lost (!) without a satnav, in the car I use it for everything, speed, journey time, clock, POI the lot, so really need to have the same on a bike.

I use a Garmin Quest on the bike - it's quite old now and very low tech compared to the modern stuff - only a 2D display & no touch screen or anything flash! But it's waterproof and the battery lasts a full day so I can run it unpowered.

For a fairly basic unit t does the job fine - I really only use it for turn-by-turn navigation on routes, although the top speed function is quite handy [bTW this was in Germany]. I've always used RAM mounting hardware, on the bike and in the car - it's brilliant.

IMG_1489.jpg

You have a shit load going on in that cockpit Monkey!

information is power. It's just like what a Tornado pilot looks at [in my head]

That set up has got through countless european and UK trips and it works bloody well.

The pic is deceptive, the twat nav doesn't obscure the gear indicator at all. Just the idiot lights, but I can still see the trip meter on the speedo .... which is quite handy on the R1 - when the fuel light comes on, it switches to another trip meter which starts at zero so you can see how many miles you've done 'on reserve'

That page on the GPS is not normally showing, usually it's a map or turn pointer

31ZDP5XV41L__SL500_AA300_.jpg

I remember us chatting about it at the dyno day at Gibsons, tidy that RAM mount is.

Is that a shift light at the top?

ahh yes so we did. Yeah, I really rate the RAM stuff, it's really very good.

Yes that is a shift light - it's an Acumen PD8. It's like a disco in there when the bike is working hard. Magic.

R1's didn't come with a shift light until the 02/03 model, and I wanted one. It runs off the same plug n play loom as the gear indicator, so there's no cutting of wires etc. Which was nice.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like I have a final solution.

1 x CTEK adaptor that plugs into my CTEK charger and gives me a fag lighter outlet under the seat (£9 via eGay).

HG small triangular day tank bag (£20). Had for a while and it normally carries my phone and wallet, ear plugs, sun glasses etc i.e. stuff I don't want in my pockets when Im' riding and it pulls of the tank easily. Handily it has a small window in it that is just big enough for my TomTom 1 to sit snugly and be visib;e.....and I can get it positioned far enough forward on the tank to actually see it.

1 x TomTom lead that goes nicely out the side of the HG tank bag, down the side of the tank and under my seat and into the boot on the TRX when the fag outlet now lives.

Fingers crossed it'll be the solution to my problem. The TomTom will be mainly be used to confirm I'm on the right roads as I have a pretty good idea where we're actually going and the roads I need to use already.

Thanks again to all who responded. Identifying the existence of the CTEK adaptor was a godsend.

Pics to follow of my setup tomorrow once I've used it in anger on a trial runout with mates to Abergavenny.

Corners

Archived