Bolt sheared off in frame.

V6Jon

Managed to get a couple of hours in the garage over the weekend, and got loads of bits and bobs done on my 750 SRAD project, everything going swimmingly, right up to the point where I decided to take the airbox off :icon_pale:

Loosened all the clamps around the carbs, then tried to undo the bolt that goes through the tab on the front of the airbox, and into the frame by the headstock, anyone car to guess what happened next ?

After much swearing, some beer drinking, and then some more swearing, I decided to leave it until I was in a better frame of mind. Had another quick look last night, and it is proper stuck in there, nothing left above the hole to grab with pliers etc, so I call upon those her present to suggest what I do next :eusa_think:

My main concerns are that it appears to be a steel bolt in an alloy frame, and that it has a very narrow shaft, so if I try to drill it out I can see myself slipping and adding a new hole in the frame, right next to the one that is supposed to be there.

So, errr, help !

Drill it with your smallest drill bit down the center and use an 'easy out'.

Drill it out completely taking the thread with it and use a heli-coil in there, or re-cut with a larger thread.

:eusa_think:

Could use a punch to smack a divet into it to make sure you have something for the bit to bite into to keep straight and then get an easy out on it

I feel for you, fella.

has the head of the offending bolt come right off then, so at least you can get the airbox out of the way?

Is there any way you can get to what's left of the bolt, from underneath?

On the R1, the lug for the front airbox bolt is quite thin - it's the bit that sticks inward from behind the headstock

IMG_0658.jpg

You might be able to remove the radiator / thermostat and get up to it that way. If you can, before you try and remove the sheared off bolt, try heating it with a blowtorch - I've recently had good success with that technique - obviously be careful if doing so.

you might just be able to get some pliers or molegrips onto it from below, or a couple of nuts to lock together.

It's an M6, I was faffing about with this only last weekend. Do whatever you think might get it out, I'd dink a hole in the middle with a punch to try and instigate some drilling action, or otherwise dink it at an angle with a very sharp punch to try and help get a bit of turning going on. I bet once it starts being undone it won't pose too much trouble, plus as soon as it's 2 or 3mm out you could dremel a slot into it and use a screwdriver to finish it off. I don't know how much meat there is in the frame round there but I'd bet tapping an m8 thread in there wouldn't be an issue, you'd only need it to go about 5mm into the frame, it's hardly holding the airbox down at all even when it's all OK. The plastic tab on the front of my airbox has split a long time back and has a ruddy great washer holding down what's left of it.

If push comes to shove and you can't get it out I'd be tempted to ignore it. It's a cheap and swift solution and I'd bet that it poses you exactly 0 problems in the future: The tab that it's attached to is only about 2mm thick of plastic, if the airbox is coming off this'd just bend up anyway, just make sure it's fixed to the carbs OK and you'll be fine. If you've an injected bike this lot may all be completely different, but I doubt it.

0133793_l.jpg

lit_match_3.jpg

This was considered, and then I decided to walk away !

I shall have to investigate the underside of the head, and also check what the chances are of flattening the top of the bolt, and getting a hole down the middle of it, or even drilling it and re-tapping.

Cheers guys,

has it snapped off flush? or just below?, i've had similar in the past, easiest way is to find a mate with a mig welder if you've not got one, position a nut over the top of the hole and hold with a pair of pliers while you drop a bit of weld in. Can then normally turn the bolt out with the nut.

have you tried really swearing, like properly? it tends to help i find.

one dodge i have used to fetch buggered disc bolts out of mag wheels it to weld a nut onto the knackered head - this gives you something to put a spanner on, and heats up the parent metal usually enough to let you just wind it out with a pair of pliers. good luck!

get the fluted driver as mentioned above, use the one about 4mm dia, bolt has 5mm core dia.

Soak in WD40 and then use a hair-drier / heat gun on the frame (ally expands faster) then gently turn the extractor until it gives.

The bolt only keeps the air box from slipping forward and loosening from the carbs

hth

Archived