Small niggly electrical problem 95 Yamaha TT600

3SIX2SEVEN

Right then as the title suggests it is only a small problem but it would make riding the bike at night a more Pleasurable experience.

The bike in question is an Italian import Belarda spec Yamaha TT600. It's a cracking little bike which I've just given a bit of TLC as the previous owner was a bit clueless. It looks great, goes great. The only problem I have is the headlight dims when the revs rise. Yep, dips when the revs go up, opposite of what I thought it should. It's ok to a certain revs, say 50 mph in top, but then it noticeably dips, not gradual. It's either normal or dim. I can cruise at a speed to keep it bright enough to see, but under acceleration it's about as much use as tits on a gold fish.

It has no battery, as it's an enduro. So it's more of a pain to find the problem as it has to be running, and with it being a big ol air cooled single, I don't like getting it too hot. I've had a multimeter on the regulator and it's kicking out 13-14v. Take the headlight bulb out and everything stays constant, neutral light doesn't dim like it does when the headlight bulbs in. The headlight bulb connector is kicking out 13-14v and doesn't drop when it's revved and the earth appears to be ok to it. As soon as I put the headlight bulb in, it looks fine on tick-over and little revs. But rev it and it dims all the lights, Inc the neutral light. Indicators aren't a problem, coz it hasn't got any. The rest of the bike is awesome, it would just be nice if the headlight was better. If I was to put a temporary earth on, from where on the lighting circuit to where on the frame.

My auto electrical knowledge is fine as long as everything is working. When things like this happen, I haven't got a

Clue.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Paddy

I will give it a bash lol..

Your alternator could be on its way out. Basically is goes Alternator - Regulator rectifier- Juntion box & Ignition Switch.(simple terms)

You need to test your alternator ohms & do a volt test. I dont know what your setting will be for this but thats where i would start.

Regulator seems fine so.

Check the Earths on the fuse box and also on the ignition.

It sounds like the alternator to me. As you have no battery your Main headlight draws more current and if your alternator cannot keep up with the voltage use due to a broken winding your main beam dies.

If you had indicators on the bike these would also die if you had headlight on full beam. Its just the current draw on main beam and thats why i say Alternator.

Alternator or Stator. Pricey things... :pokeit:

stator.jpg

Thanks for the advice feller. I'll check the alternator tomorrow. One of the previous owners has put a plate on the alternator cover, possibly to repair it. It's been well done but there is a good chance the dropping of the bike that caused it has possibly done some damage to the said alternator. If it is damaged, I've got a Micro fische in PDF on my computer so I'll get a part number for it. Because it was putting out a healthly voltage at the regulator I presumed the alternator would be ok. If it just means I can't run it at night then it's no big loss.

If your voltage is stable, then it's current, and that says most likely one of your windings is duff.

We have a company on the site where I work called StarDelta who build and repair electrical motors. I'm going to pop it in there and get them to check it over for me.

Thanks for the help people.

Archived