Front end noises.

Harry Muff

As you may recall, I gave my calipers a bit of a service before Xmas. I stuck a bit of wood between them and pumped the pistons out before cleaning them and lubing them up with red rubber grease. There were a few hiccups, but got it done in the end.

I've hardly used the bike since.

I recently used it 3 three days in a row and have noticed a loudish clicking noise from the front end which sounds like something moving backwards and forwards. Sometimes a knocking noise, sometimes a more metallic clang.

This usually happens on hard braking. I have managed to make it happen two ways though:

Method one is brake normally up to the lights and then grab the brake lever hard to shave off the last mph suddenly. It clicks as the forks dive and the bike stops.

Method two is brake hard at, say 30mph, and let go again. This causes it to click when I do this. However, when I get to the lights and brake hard, it doesn't click again as whatever it is has already moved.

Now the obvious thing is calipers and pads. Unfortunately, I've had them apart and checked them over and over and everything is as it should be. I thought that maybe the pad spring might be in the wrong way round, but I've checked various manuals and images online and they are in the right way round.

I still think it's brake related as that's the only thing that's been touched, but I can't help but think that it might be something else such as head-bearings (which is very unlikely on a 12,000 mile bike that never gets wheelied) or even something clicking inside a fork ( again, silly).

The pads and discs are the same as before the cleaning and absolutely nothing else has been changed.

Any ideas peeps?

The bike's an '06 Blade with standard everything (that's relevant to this anyway).

Can u get the front end up to spin the wheel and check for this noise?

and check the head bearings while you're there.

Or have you dropped a spanner in the belly pan..

This doesn't help, does it!

Again, only thing I can think of is the pads moving slightly in the callipers, or the calliper bolts not being tight enough, and the callipers moving slightly when you brkae.

I changed the brake pads on my old bike for a non-OEM set, and the slot where the pad pins went though the pads was ever so slightly larger than the OEM ones. This made them click under braking as well, so it could be that.

Most of it has already been advised.

Pads clicking in the calipers

Head bearings loose,need greasing or dodgy

Calipers loose on mounting points

When did you last have the head bearings greased??

Head races is my bet...

Lift front end up and pull back and forth on the bottom of the fork legs if you feel a click or knock they are lose....

There's definitely movement from the pads; there's oval shaped holes where the pins go through too. Thing is, everything is as it was before and there were no clunking noises before. As for the greasing, I used to apply copper slip but someone on here said it can get at the seals so I stopped using it. I might take Alpine's advice and slap some on temporarily to eliminate pad movement.

The head races is a possibility as it has been standing for a good bit. But, really, bedding in after 5 years? It does sound unfeasible. But that's all of I've got to go on as everything has been checked and double checked on the calipers.

Overall, riding the bike shows up no problems handling wise. It's just that unnerving clink when I slam on the anchors. Do you think the frame's cracked? :icon_blackeye:

told you once...it's fooked.

£110, and that's me final offer. can I collect it at the weekend??? Hmm???? :eusa_pray:

Only if you're willing to take responsibility for the family of squirrels living in the air box.

Most likely pads as has been said.

rock the bike back and forward with the front brake on hard so nothing can move, listen for clicking.

Next rock it back and forward with the brake on just enough to keep the wheel still but let the pads move IYSWIM.

if it clicks its the pads.

My bike clicks too.

I jacked up the front and turned the wheel while holding the brake on slightly and the pads wonder about as the wheel turns clicking now and then.

Most likely pads as has been said.

rock the bike back and forward with the front brake on hard so nothing can move, listen for clicking.

Next rock it back and forward with the brake on just enough to keep the wheel still but let the pads move IYSWIM.

if it clicks its the pads.

My bike clicks too.

I jacked up the front and turned the wheel while holding the brake on slightly and the pads wonder about as the wheel turns clicking now and then.

Doing it walking pace won't make it show up. It only does it when giving it proper hard braking when the forks are compressed.

Coppaslip or simlar on the sides of the pads, on the pins etc, rubber grease anywhere that'll get near the pistons.

Was confounded by similar a few years ago on my Steely. Went through various pads, new pins and sliders, EBC discs, new headraces.

Fixed it by rebuilding the forks with new bushes. Not exactly what I was expecting.

Just popped down to slap some coppaslip on the back of the pads. Did that make a difference? Fuck knows.

Because I think I've found the problem. And it's not what anyone thought... It's something silly. That's if I'm right, that is...

What is it?

Brake lines. Yup, brake lines. Hel ones to be precise.

It would appear that they have been getting trapped between the plastic cowl that sits under the bottom yoke and surrounding the horn. The lines are pretty thick and hard and don't like bending much. There's even scuffs on one of them. I didn't have my mobile so I'll get some snaps next time.

I stumbled across it by bouncing the front end up and down and heard the metallic clinking that I described earlier. I had a rummage around and made it do it again by wiggling the brake lines about. I then noticed that they were getting bent and caught up in the plastic cowl. The loud clunk will have been the line breaking free and snapping back into position. Sometimes twatting the horn aswell.

Of course, this isn't certain as I've only identified the possible problem; I haven't taken steps and tested it yet.

I'll let you know.

Archived