R6 electric problem

Mrdrink

My friend has just brought his first race bike as a project. The electrics arent working properly and im having a go at solving it. Its a '99 5EB, the guy said it needs a new loom but i dont think he knew what he was talking about as the main loom looks to be in good condition with no plugs or cables cut. just like it left the factory. I charged the battery up and when switched on the fuel pump gets power. Nothing goes to the clocks yet and the starter wont turn.

By luck his mate has just brought himself similar R6 that works and tonight we got them both in the same workshop so i can start going through them both to see whats missing on the first one. Im gonna try the ECU's and clocks and the starter solenoid and basically go through all the sockets with WD40.

Is there anyone from the PB massive who knows about R6's (or electrics) that can offer suggestions on what else to look for?

If I had a quid for every person building track bike I've said this to*........

Most Japanese road bikes have a resistor built into the key operated ignition switch with two parallel feeds from the battery running through the switch, one with no resistance and one through the resistor, to the ECU as an anti - hotwire device.

If you remove the key operated switch then you need to fit a resistor of the same value (and size) as is in the ignition switch in the correct feed to the ECU in order for it to start.

*£3.07

Thats just the type of reply i was after thanks Millemille :eusa_whistle: I will check it out as it has had the barrel removed and a toggle switch 'roughly' put in its place. Ive only had 15mins checking over it so hadnt got too far into it but to my untrained brain it appeared to be something this daft stopping the system working

Now you know what the next question will be :rock: where/how do i find out the resistance?

cheers again.

Ok had another look at it today. a fuse was missing and one broken, put new ones in and now the starter/ignition relay clicks when the power is switched on but still no clocks or starter motor. Ive tried the ignition barrel off the working bike and no change.

Archived