Yam swingarm ponderings

Kayla

I've been wondering, as I do, about stuff. Mainly the 3TJ frame, Thunderace engine and TRX850 swingarm I have kicking around. I can get the Thunderace arm in the 3TJ frame, that's not a problem, but I have a TRX arm which is lots lighter and can take the Thunderace 5.5" wheel ok. I'm just wondering if the skinnier TRX arm will be man enough for the job is all. The TRX makes a lumpy 87Nm and the Thunderace makes 108Nm but a lot smoother- am I asking for trouble? Hypothetically and that. :rock::eusa_whistle:

Ta :icon_bounce:

thats not a massive increase in torque, i would check the swinger for any defects or weak spots, have those sorted and then be fairly confident that anything other than a spill would be fine. i would say that you would be better off with the smoother power delivery of the ace compared to the rapid successions of ons and offs that the trx would have given you, so although the power is higher it would be better for the swinger iyswim. you could whilst your at it have the swinger beefed up, then you could be doubly sure.

Home-made bracing is the way forward, I'm sure, but probably only for looks. From memory, the TRX arm is just an alloy box section, isn't it? Now take into account that a similar size arm (although wall thickness may be different, who knows?) is used on a bandit 12, XJR and a whole load of other pretty big bikes, I'd say you are OK with it on the thunderace.

Yes, that's kind of what I thought too. All of it. I need to get the 'ace engine out of the frame first though :icon_blackeye:

Something that I've looked at before is, what happens if you take another Identical swing arm and cut it up. What I'm driving at is that by cutting along the diagonal of the long side length, you'd have a nice thick brace that you could weld onto the underside of the arm that you've got. Not many dimensional drama's to worry about and it should look tidy if the Tig was good.

Any good? :eusa_pray:

i was tempted to do something very similar to the vfr one that im working on at the moment but ive aquired a firblade one that may be pressed into service next winter. so long as it misses the moving parts i cant see why this shouldn't work, will need a bloody good weld to look anything special though.

Yes, that's kind of what I thought too. All of it. I need to get the 'ace engine out of the frame first though :eusa_whistle:

Kayla,

Is this the ace engine you have on ebay? Have you given up on the idea of the ace engine in the 3TJ frame, or will it just not fit?

Alex.

Kayla,

Is this the ace engine you have on ebay? Have you given up on the idea of the ace engine in the 3TJ frame, or will it just not fit?

Alex.

Yeah, that's the one. It's too wide across the bottom mount at the back near the sprocket to fit in the 3TJ frame easily. It could be done, but not by me :eusa_whistle: It's a shame, cos it'd be a brill bike, but I haven't got the time at the minute and could do with putting the cash back into the business. Don't get high on your own supply!

Would not say the thunderace engine would be a good choice in the 3tj R1 would be miles better its smaller and a lot lighter, dont know what it is like for a fit though. Why not drop a 900rr aka suspension smith his thread is a well easy guide on what to do.

Why not drop a 900rr aka suspension smith his thread is a well easy guide on what to do.

Cos-

1. It's a Honda engine. Ugh.

2. I don't have one to hand.

3. Erm.

4. That's it.

The FZR1000 engine has been put into a 400 frame and it tears itself apart. You need to shave the frame and weld up, it's wider and heavier which pressures the frame and it breaks the headstock landing the constant wheelies.

Put a 600 Cat or Foxeye in the frame (keeping it Yamaha) and you'll have a good road / trackday bike for a small amount of effort / time.

Archived