valve clearances

nedster

i have a zx7r and i think they really need doin now and dont have the time right now,

plus its too feckin cold in my garage. no heaters as yet.

just wondered what sort of price i should be looking at

cheers

:lol: rocks

I reckon its roundabout 2 hours work all in get the carbs balanced too,shims normally are about £5 each too.If you whip off the fairing panels it'll save a little labour time.

I suppose if you measure them yourself cold, then leave the fairing off and drop it into the garage with your measurements that'd shave a few quid off? Or not worth it...

What makes you think they need doing then?poor running or mileage?

top end rattling a tad just sounds like they need doin, had the cam chain tensioner

out a while ago thought it was that but thats okay (nice and tight).

just assuming that its them that need doin now i guess?

:icon_pale: and the fact that its got 24,000 miles on it to makes me think i should do em

Not likely to be valve clearances causing a rattly topend mate-they get quieter if anything as the clearances reduce over time rather than increase!other signs are is it difficult to start when hot?(as the heat further reduces clearances and can hold the valves slightly open and reduce compression).Youre sure the camchain tensioner is all good?or maybe the actual camchain is worn?easy enough to check that for yourself.They can be quite noisy engines as standard or is this noise a new development?

more important than the mileage its done is-when were the clearances last done?what mileage?

Why not talk ya missis into letting you wheel the bike into the warm kitchen on Saturday morning

Check the clearences and then tell her it will cost about £250 to ge it 'mended' at a dealers.

More than likely she'll let you use the kitchen next weekend as well, fact is she may even offer to help you.

That's brews on tap at least.

best of luck

Mark

Not likely to be valve clearances causing a rattly topend mate-they get quieter if anything as the clearances reduce over time rather than increase!other signs are is it difficult to start when hot?(as the heat further reduces clearances and can hold the valves slightly open and reduce compression).Youre sure the camchain tensioner is all good?or maybe the actual camchain is worn?easy enough to check that for yourself.They can be quite noisy engines as standard or is this noise a new development?

more important than the mileage its done is-when were the clearances last done?what mileage?

it was a little noisy to start with, but like you said they are quite noisy motors anyhow although i think it has got more noisy

in the last couple of weeks.....

not sure when they were done before, not that much history with the bike.

but did notice in the summer just gone that it was sometimes a bitch to start when hot , just after a good run

Shim under bucket valves are a pain in the arse to do properly and a dealer that is going to do it properly will also be charging properly.

I've done it on, FZ's, FZR's (5 valve heads=fun), fzr400's, and an early FireBlade.

Whilst i was taking my time, it took me about 8 hours to measure the clearences, remove the valvetrain, replace the shims (all of them on one occasion, £90 worth of shims!) torque down the valvetrain after timing checks and re-check the clearences. It's not an easy or quick job to do properly.

Also, depending on how hard you ride your bike, you may find your exhaust valves loosen with time and the inlet's tighten (at least that's what i found most of the time).

Get a shop/mate/independent that you trust to do this and do it properly.

we had a bloke who thought we were expensive when we quoted him for doing his zx6 valves , so he had a go himself , cracked the cam carrier , which you have to buy with the cylinder head :pb2: , it can be cheaper to pay someone who knows what they are doing .

Archived