Front brakes juddering

roastdinajima

I changed the front pads on my '07 cbr600rr for some Bendix ones HH compound i think and at low speed, say less than 10 kph to a stop they judder like a bastard!

Is this a characteristic of the pad compound or something else like warped disc/s, sticky caliper pistons, worn headstock bearings or someting else?

Help me out clever pb peoples.

Could be....

Caliper sticking on sliders

Headstock worn

Disc warped

Wheel warped

Wheel bearing worn

Tyre Out of balance

+ more

I would start with looking at the calipers if i were you. If it did not do it prior to you putting new pads in then that could be where the problem lies.

Whip the calipers off an just make sure the sliders are free to move.As you have installed new pads the caliper will now sit further back on the slider.This slider could have some crud onit and stop the caliper sliding properly.Clean and put a small blob of high temp grease in/on slider.

A bit of copper grease on the BACK (Piston side) of the pads is something else i do, Stops brake squeal.Also put a dab on the threads of the bolts.This will stop the bolts seizing on the fork legs.Clean the brake caliper as well with brake cleaner.Where the pads sit is another place they can bite, so make sure the caliper is clean.Oh and i know it may sound silly but make sure all the bolts are tightened up to the correct tourqe.

Do that and go for a ride and see if it does it still.

:eusa_think:

If you're sure everything went back together correctly it could just be material from the old pads that's still on the discs causing the problem, or slightly glazed pads.

Easy to sort, pull the pads out and give the surface of the pad friction material a rub with some emery paper. Do the same to the discs and clean with brake cleaner.

Then see the thread a bit further down where someone has given a guide to bedding in new pads.

Could be....

Caliper sticking on sliders

<snip useful stuff about cleaning sliders>

OP said it's a CBR600RR, it doen't have sliders at all. Sorry.

If it's just at very low speeds then it could be that there's a spring or something missing from off the back of the pads. I actually had a problem like this on a pair of yamaha bluespots on a trx some years back. I tried all sorts, balanced the wheel, emery paper on the discs, spotless calipers, new headstock bearings, everything I could think of, and it still stayed the same. Then one day I had a car pull out on me, did a proper hard bit of braking, back wheel skipping about kinda style, and they were fine ever since!

OP said it's a CBR600RR, it doen't have sliders at all. Sorry.

Sorry by slider i mean where the pads drift along.. um you might call it a pin/slide pin?? It has a Hex fitting on one end and you take this out to remove pads. These get old crud on.. Brake dust,rust and stuff. I clean these & put a bit of the copper grease (thinly) on the pin itself and where it is threaded (hex end and other end).

Also while i am here make sure the "retaining clips" are round the right way.

Heres a picture to make what i said a little clearer. :eusa_whistle:

07cbr.jpg

It'd be worth just running a finger nail over the surface of the discs - if they're a little ridged, then you can get some juddering and maybe some squealing, too.

Very unlikely to be wheel balance - that usually shows up at high speed

Certainly, whenever I fit new pads I'll always give the discs a light going over with some emery, and give the pads a roughen up on a flat paving slab.

I changed the front pads on my '07 cbr600rr for some Bendix ones HH compound i think and at low speed, say less than 10 kph to a stop they judder like a bastard!

Is this a characteristic of the pad compound or something else like warped disc/s, sticky caliper pistons, worn headstock bearings or someting else?

Help me out clever pb peoples.

have a look at the pad surface. i have sometimes received bendix pads that havnt been 'faced' well. often leaving ridges along the face of the friction material. if this is the case put some 80grit emery paper on a flat surface and move the pads in a circular motion so the pad gets sanded evenly.

also what discs do you have? as i noticed the juddering was worst when fitted to wavey style discs.

Archived