Exhaust gaskets

wazrs257

Hi all.

I've just been looking at exhaust gaskets on the wemoto.com site, for my GSXR1100 motor. They list them in ally or copper, both are £1.27 each. Which is best?

Cheers. :icon_puke_r:

Hi all.

I've just been looking at exhaust gaskets on the wemoto.com site, for my GSXR1100 motor. They list them in ally or copper, both are £1.27 each. Which is best?

Cheers. :icon_puke_r:

You can reanneal copper, gets my vote.

Another vote for copper from me. If I get the choice I will normally use it because the copper tube type gaskets deform more than the ally/asbestos ones. A couple of things to note though, I had a pipe on my old Z1R that was had a very thin wall thickness where the headers meet the ports in the head and I couldn't get it to seal with the copper type gaskets because there wasn't enough surface area to crush them properly. When you nipped the collars up the gasket was deflecting into the pipe rather than crushing. Also Suzuki OEM gaskets are the ally and fake asbestos type ones, I guess this is more to do with copper being dearer than monkey metal rather than their ability to seal an exhaust.

Archived