Loose R&G bung

funkyphil

So I spent most of yesterday afternoon cleaning the bike* and giving it a once over, giving the chain a proper degrease and lubing everything up, when I notice the left hand crash bung** is loose (I can turn it by hand). Not problem thinks I, I'll just nip it up. So I put a ratchet on it to start with, but strangly it's not getting tighter and I get that sinking feeling in my stomach. So I undo it and lo and behold there's a couple of aluminium strands wrapped around the bolt. Bollocks. :)

Now I've always been paranoid about refitting these things, and everytime I do I start off by turning the bolt the wrong way by hand to make sure I've located the thread, then gently screw it in by hand until I can't turn it anymore. Then tighten it up to the correct torque. So I can't understand how this has happened.

Anyway, I guess my question is what do you guys think is the best solution? It'll more than likely be going into a bike shop as I don't have the room to strip the bike myself, and I don't feel confident enough to bugger about with re-tapping threads in engine mounts. The two solutions I've come across are Helicoil or Time-Sert but I don't know which to go for, and I'd like to go to the shop with a little bit of kowledge.

I'd really appreciate any info.

:(

* it's a GSXR600 K6

** R&G Aero Crash Bungs

So I spent most of yesterday afternoon cleaning the bike* and giving it a once over, giving the chain a proper degrease and lubing everything up, when I notice the left hand crash bung** is loose (I can turn it by hand). Not problem thinks I, I'll just nip it up. So I put a ratchet on it to start with, but strangly it's not getting tighter and I get that sinking feeling in my stomach. So I undo it and lo and behold there's a couple of aluminium strands wrapped around the bolt. Bollocks. :)

Now I've always been paranoid about refitting these things, and everytime I do I start off by turning the bolt the wrong way by hand to make sure I've located the thread, then gently screw it in by hand until I can't turn it anymore. Then tighten it up to the correct torque. So I can't understand how this has happened.

Anyway, I guess my question is what do you guys think is the best solution? It'll more than likely be going into a bike shop as I don't have the room to strip the bike myself, and I don't feel confident enough to bugger about with re-tapping threads in engine mounts. The two solutions I've come across are Helicoil or Time-Sert but I don't know which to go for, and I'd like to go to the shop with a little bit of kowledge.

I'd really appreciate any info.

:(

* it's a GSXR600 K6

** R&G Aero Crash Bungs

what a bugger. I know the feeling

I had the exact same problem with my R1, years ago. The RHS engine mount stripped the thread.

I had the mount hole fixed with an insert - can't remember if it was helicoil or timesert - by my local garage as I wasn't brave enough to try and I didn't have any of the tools. It worked fine and I never had any further problems with it.

Just check that you aren't over-tightening the R&G bolt. Usually, as they are longer than the original engine mounting bolts, so they need less torque* I think I had been over-tightening the R&G bolt.

*This may or may not be complete bollocks.

i had the same thing happen with my k2 gsxr750 on the right hand side engine mount. i just helicoiled mine and that sorted it but unfortunately i had to drop the engine out (well tilt it forwards anyway) to do it as you cant get the tap in needed for the helicoil otherwise

what a bugger. I know the feeling

I had the exact same problem with my R1, years ago. The RHS engine mount stripped the thread.

I had the mount hole fixed with an insert - can't remember if it was helicoil or timesert - by my local garage as I wasn't brave enough to try and I didn't have any of the tools. It worked fine and I never had any further problems with it.

Just check that you aren't over-tightening the R&G bolt. Usually, as they are longer than the original engine mounting bolts, so they need less torque* I think I had been over-tightening the R&G bolt.

*This may or may not be complete bollocks.

If you don't mind me asking how much did they charge you, and did you supply the helicoil/timesert kit or did they do the lot?

Cheers for the replies lads :eusa_wall:

Well, my local bike place reckons it'll be a (worst case) 5-6hr job and therefore cost £300, but could (hopefully) take/cost less and they'll do it with a Time-Sert thread sleeve. I think I'm going to ask them to do both sides while the thing is stripped, as sods-law says the other side will go not long after paying for this one to be sorted.

fucksticks :D

If you don't mind me asking how much did they charge you, and did you supply the helicoil/timesert kit or did they do the lot?

Cheers for the replies lads :)

it's so long ago I really can't remember - sorry. It was done as part of a service at the time. Fortunately they could tap & thread the hole, and fit the insert with the engine in situ.

But from memory I think they used a timesert, rather than helicoil, and they supplied it. Whichever it was, it was totally trouble free after that.

For info, I only ever had that one done, I never bothered having any of the other engine mount holes done & I never needed to. I think the RHS one went because the R&G fits through the fairing on that side, so I had removed and refitted it a lot of times.

Cheers Monkey, unfortunately for me both sides go through the fairings and have to be removed everytime I need to take them off. It's a bit of a PITA, and in hindsight I wish I'd gone for the no-cut option which look like they could stay in place and remove the fairings around them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived