usd fork internals help needed

kaighn80

right, ive aquired a set of usd's from an sp1 having pressed out the old stem and swapped over with standard vfr750 one i have got them into the frame, but for them to fit right i eithr need to machine a stepped top tripple or lengthen the fork lowers, firstly is this possible, and secondly is there a swap that can be done, ie is there a longer inner that i could use from something else like a cbr or summink as it might be my cheaper option, if i did do it this way what else would i have to change to get it to sit right, would it need longer springs or could they be spaced and what would i do about the oil situation, i intend on changing the oil anyway what would be the best option for oil and what info would you need?

Having a stepped top yoke made is the best/safest method. Not personally heard of anyone lengthening forks by swopping stanchions but have seen extensions on the legs that screw in and lengthen the top, some are available eg Blackbird but most have to be custom made. Haven't heard of any failing but personally I'd still lean towards a stepped yoke.

i cant use the screw in thing anyway cos they are for conventional forks not upside down, ive seen someone here has used the lowers from one set of usd and the uppers from another set and that increases the overall length of the fork but not sure what else would need to be done to accomplish this mod, it might just be a simple fit and forget but knowing my luck it wont be.

yeah definitely cant use them as they are too short and $299 + shipping bollox! i could buy a longer set of forks for less than that!!! so anyway what about using longer lowers from another bike then? that price makes the stepped top yoke look mighty appealing and i could use that to try out the cnc machine! but i want to exhaust all other possibility's before i comit to buying and wrecking a perfectly good block of ally.

yeah definitely cant use them as they are too short and $299 + shipping bollox! i could buy a longer set of forks for less than that!!! so anyway what about using longer lowers from another bike then? that price makes the stepped top yoke look mighty appealing and i could use that to try out the cnc machine! but i want to exhaust all other possibility's before i comit to buying and wrecking a perfectly good block of ally.

That was just an example the first that showed in a search, any decent engineers/custom bike place can make them and the cost will vary, you don't know until you ask. If you've got access to cnc though there must be someone who can sort you out be it extensions or stepped yoke.

Maybe a bit of research will help ... What dia are the forks ??? Then have a look about for a standard stepped yoke from another bike.

I could be cheaper than lenghtening the forks or having a new top yoke made.

Alternatively can a smaller diameter fork yoke be machined out ???? I wouldn't want to go too big though.

Archived