alternator re-wiring

bignige

fitted a s/h one a couple of years ago and i think it's died.

probably gonna get the original one fixed.

Your thoughts on the matter please, bike is a '88 gsxr11

Anyone had it done before?

cheers in advance!

Theres an indian bloke in Burton on trent, Ajaz is his name. He is a god with all things electrickery. I`ll get his number for you tomorrow.

Theres an indian bloke in Burton on trent, Ajaz is his name. He is a god with all things electrickery. I`ll get his number for you tomorrow.

much better than a Burton on trent bloke in India!

cheers

the problem announced itself yesterday when i noticed the instrument lights were dim and the headlights didn't brighten when the engine was revved.

on today's inspection ,the main wire coming out of the gen meets the main harness behind the LH sidepanel.

It's a 2 wire connector usual jap thing with the locking tab, but could i split them, could i fook!

plenty of WD and 2 pair of pliers later i've got them apart, no real corrosion to speak of.

cleaned them up and now i get brighter lights when revvin.

Now before i pat myself on the back, when this gen was replaced i put a dab of silicone grease inside this connection to stop any of this seizing business.

So my question being could heat from a faulty gen (regulator is inside this gen) have sort of fused them together melting the grease?

will still take the number please Rob..

I have used West country windings.

Cannot rate em highly enough. My stator on my Montesa was on the blink. They could have charged me £150 for a total rewind.

It only neededa new pickup, all checked under load and returned for about £80.

Proper good quick service too, no fucking around. Get it done

Charge the battery and check the electrolyte levels measure the voltage of the battery - it should be about 13v

Then start the bike and measure the voltage again - it should be 14.5v (ish) if it's lowerred to about 12v the battery isn't being charged so suspect the alternator.

Rev the engine a bit and if the voltage spikes to 15-16v it's the reg rec not soaking up the excess charge.

Check the connectors and the wires (as you have already) and check the reg rec connections, also make sure the battery earth is ok.

It might just be winter riding where the bike always has lights on, the battery gets colder and the connections get a little corrosion.

Ayup dude, never taken a bike to him but its well worth a try.

Ajaz

Archived