A tedious affair

TheGoat

Alright boys.

Any 07/08 R1 owners out there?

Any of you know how to get the front sprocket cover off? I spent some time with the bike today, doin a few minor mods and bits of maintenance, and had a quick try at getting the cover off, nae luck.

Do you need to take the gear linkage off first? Cuz i tried that and couldn't manage it.

So maybe the question should be, how do you get the FUCKING gear linkage off? I've done it before on other bikes, but never the R1.

any takers?

The linkage needs to come off first. Loosen the locknuts then screw the link rod until it comes away from the balljoints.

The arm at the engine end needs removing next then it's the cover bolts that need removed.

It's a bit awkward but not too bad.

screenshot20110116at164.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The linkage needs to come off first. Loosen the locknuts then screw the link rod until it comes away from the balljoints.

The arm at the engine end needs removing next then it's the cover bolts that need removed.

It's a bit awkward but not too bad.

screenshot20110116at164.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cheers mate. I wasnt sure whether the link rod could come off without taking the engine-end arm off. So i tried taking the arm off with the rod still on.

Fail,

and i think i've fucked the treads on the bolt that goes through the arm. I got it back on, but im not confident it'll go back on if i take it off again.

We'll see.

Thanks again.

Archived