Suzuki Slingshot Carb Issues

cagimaha

What I had previously taken to be quite the bargain is quickly becoming a recurring nightmare! The bike is a 750L with the original Mikuni BST38SS carbs fitted. I've got the carbs in bits to see what jets it's got in it and there seems to be a small brass tube floating about in each of the float bowls. I've looked for it in both the parts manual and also the genuine workshop manual but to no avail. It's not threaded, looks like it should be pressed into somewhere but I'll be buggered if I can see where! It's about 4mm long and maybe 2mm diameter with a slight taper at one end. They're almost identical in size to the powerjets that screw into the float bowl but without the thread and with a bigger hole through them. I'm guessing they're a guide or spacer for something but what?

Also the jetting is still bog standard even though the previous owner has fitted a Micron 4-2-1 full system and pod filters, that'd be the cause of the flat spot then... Any ideas of what jets it should have in for this setup. I'm guessing around 4 sizes bigger on the mains and raise the needle a notch?

Any help much appreciated, I'll post a pic of the brass widget when I get chance. Cheers, Ben.

They're funny buggers, them oil-cooled motors..

I had a 750k (short stroke) with 36mm carbs, 4-1stage pipe,stage 3 dynojet kit and pod filters - it ran perfectly

When I had to change the engine (yep, I broke the 'bulletproof' motor), I stuck a 750L engine in, and that ran just as sweetly with no changes to jetting at all.

This despite the fact that it had 38mm carbs as std.Top end was excellent, and the motor was really torquey compared to the 750k one.

Panic over! The bike runs just as it did previously but the choke now works a lot better. I've got some jets on the way so hopefully it should be fettled before too long. Got some discs, braided hoses and a shock to go on today so that'll keep me out of mischief for a while. Thanks again, Ben.

I didn't take much notice of the floats when I checked my carbs last night, was looking for something missing from the carb body! Will you be starting a build thread soon? Oil- boilers seem to be a bit thin on the ground on this here forum.

;)

Yeah I'll start a build thread when I get round to it. As a student any progress is going to be limited by a lack of funds. I'd love to get rid of the blue screen, fit some new chain and sprockets, refresh the front forks, give it a respray etc. but I'm skint. I've blown most of this terms student loan just making it safe to ride :icon_blackeye:

I didn't take much notice of the floats when I checked my carbs last night, was looking for something missing from the carb body! Will you be starting a build thread soon? Oil- boilers seem to be a bit thin on the ground on this here forum.

:icon_pale:

Thats cos most em are at OSS! But there are a few of us around.

You'd think they'd be capped by something other than that dowel...

they are sealed by the float bowl rubber , if you look at the piccy's you can see it goes around the dowel , hth etc

Archived