R1 1998/1999 valve clearences

pullingmyplonker

Damn I was 2k out with my guess :thumbsup:

grrrr if it wasn't for those pesky kids mutter grumble etc

I did 80,000 on mine from new, 1999 4XV, and I never got around to checking the clearances. It depends how you ride them, if you trackday then keep to the schedule, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over a few thousand miles over schedule for a road bike. My previous YZF750R did 80,000 as well, and I didn't check that either. Twenty-valve Yamahas are strong motors, that just need regular oil changes to run and run. The only problem I had on mine was the throttle position sensor at around 70,000 miles. It didn't burn oil and it didn't suffer the reg/rectifier problem either.

I did 80,000 on mine from new, 1999 4XV, and I never got around to checking the clearances. It depends how you ride them, if you trackday then keep to the schedule, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over a few thousand miles over schedule for a road bike. My previous YZF750R did 80,000 as well, and I didn't check that either. Twenty-valve Yamahas are strong motors, that just need regular oil changes to run and run. The only problem I had on mine was the throttle position sensor at around 70,000 miles. It didn't burn oil and it didn't suffer the reg/rectifier problem either.

I wouldnt recomend leaving the valve clearance check that long.

I have just checked mine (zx6r) 15,000 miles and only 1 was in spec.

I'm not going to chance it with mine - while the engine is out of the bike for the gearbox work, I'm going to be doing mine.

I had them done by a garage on the old engine, but I'm going to have a go myself this time.

My 2005 ZX6R is showing 38,000 miles, have a guess when the clearances were checked ....... Yup, still waiting. It's noisy so I don't feel the need to grub around in the freezing cold, if it was going quieter I'd do it tomorrow.

So that's 200,000 miles of experience ignoring service schedules, or approximately 9 clearance checks, at approx £300 a shot. So if I did blow the motor I've got £2,700 to spend without being out of pocket, and the bike isn't worth that so I'm quids in.

I wouldn't recommend this to everyone, but it suits me.

ps the ZX6R is scheduled for a clearance check every 26,000 miles, so I'm only 50% over.

Generally speaking, when the valves wear it's between the valve and the seat, so they recess into the head and close up the clearance. That's why I mentioned the noisy motor, if it goes quiet it's because the clearances have tightened. Obviously you won't hear a single valve tightening up, but you'd notice that the bike wasn't running quite as well as it usual.

Lots of high revs are likely to cause more wear than lower revs, which is why a trackday bike needs more maintenance.

Generally speaking, when the valves wear it's between the valve and the seat, so they recess into the head and close up the clearance. That's why I mentioned the noisy motor, if it goes quiet it's because the clearances have tightened. Obviously you won't hear a single valve tightening up, but you'd notice that the bike wasn't running quite as well as it usual.

Lots of high revs are likely to cause more wear than lower revs, which is why a trackday bike needs more maintenance.

which is probably why my zx6r has to be checked every 7500 miles!! 14,000 redline is the reason I am guessing.

Archived