Suspension Upgrade

Patf

Current bike (GSXR 750K6) should have its fork oil changed. Got me thinking about upgrading instead. ie Maxton fork conversion to suit me. My thoughts were doing the front would make more sense than doing the back (for now). Thoughts people. Or should I just get them serviced ?

If budget is an issue I would have thought a service with springs to suit your weight at both ends and a proper set up session would be better than paying to upgrade one end only.

I'd recommend the same, a decent set up/service with good synthetic oil and some springs would be about £160. If you feel you need more then go for ktech valves for around £250 they offer more adjustability within a range that suits u, there's no need to go the full hog a fork out for 25mm cartridges at £1500 or so if ur not at the limits as they are. as for the rear there's only so much u can do, oil spring and a re-valve that's about it for £200 go for a new shock

Much more from a good shock ohlins, wp, maxton or nitron they all cost about £600 and offer the same bear in mind ohlins are due to relese electronic control valves for ttx shocks soon mite be worth waiting. What everyou do regrading suspension, it'd be useless without a propper set up including geometry and chassis bearing service, would dilute the benifits.

Sorry for the essay, hope it's helpful

I was chatting to the feller from reactive suspension the other day, and I don't know how much your K6 forks differ from my SRAD ones I was talking to him about, but he was saying the differnce I'd get between throwing a whole load of cash at them and just getting them service and resprung is fairly slim, as standard, apart from the spring rate being too soft, they're half decent in terms of their general construction. I'd spend your money on either rebuilding the shock on the back, or perhaps even getting a complete new after market shock.

TBF - a lot depends on usage and pace and your weight.

Just road use and 13 stone (ish) ? New decent oil and a good clean, followed by a proper adjustment will be just fine.

If you're a fair bit lighter/heavier, then you may get away with springs to suit, but you will be limited by the range of damping adjustment.

Trackdays - if you feel the suspension is holding you up* so to speak, then yes, re-valving and springs to suit your weight and pace are recommended. Not as extreme as cartridges, but just as effective, Maxton for example, charge £320+vat for forks - reworked to suit you with new springs and internals, as well as modified standard bump valves. Maxton replacement bump valves offering more/finer adjustment are £60 (these can be fitted later if required).

So a little over 400 quid gets you a sublime front end - but - only you will know if it's worth it to you. :icon_salut:

Rear shocks can be reworked/sprung/valved. (Maxton don't bother apart from different springs, as they manufacture their own shocks) but places like Reactive do.

Again, about £250 for a re-valve and spring to suit you, compared to £450+ for an entire custom built shock.

You pays ya money etc. ... :)

*groan

Archived