To crash protect or not to crash protect!

madmike

Considering putting some crash bungs on the 600F, only problem, you have to drill the fairing (28mm hole to be exact), Not a big deal as it shows you how to do it etc, I'm just on the fence at the moment, Don't want to spoil the fairings.

img86.jpg

and they're just under £50 from R&G directly (I will have a nose round flea bay in a little bit)

I had some. Took them off again. Still not crashed.

Either way,you'll be needing new fairings if you drill them or if you crash....so depends if you want to keep the value in the bike and not crash.

Some of thevalue is lostwhen you start drilling anyways..

IMO of course.

so, No..just don't crash

had R&G bungs on my 91 cbr6, i cut a hole the size of the bung so could remove fairings easier.

My bike was rattle can black and gaffa tape so wasnt fussed about how it looked.

Have just bought a mint '97 cbr6 and wont be fitting the bungs unless can find matching panels that i can cut up.

The thing is, they seem to protect the casings quite well by the looks of the photo, that's my biggest concern really, I'm not sure what to do :eusa_whistle:

I'd fit bungs.

All my bikes have them. Racebikes & roadbikes.

If you're that worried about the casing fit an NRC casing if they do em for that model. They are well worth the money IMO.

OR

Do nothing and just don't crash.

There are certainly instances when crash bungs are useful, however i have

seen a good few occasions when they have contributed greatly to damage by

allowing a bike to slide much further than it would without them.....

it's a tough call, as has already been suggested best bet is to be lucky

I've smashed that cover in a crash on the junction of Oxford St and Tottenham Court Road. It was a wet day and the inquisitive bike cop that turned up for a looksee, ended up with a woopsy that wiped out a load of pedestrians on the pavement adjacent to the crash site. Get 'em fitted, loads of oil will jump out of there if you grind through the cases. IMHO :tacheemoticonwh7:

Ive used them,and they have worked well on one bike,then snapped an engine mount lug on another! No two crashes are the same,but i still fit them to all my bikes.I think they look better when they are scuffed a bit!!!

I have them on my ZX6R and I dropped it recently at a junction pulling away.

the bolt bent and pulled the fairing and cracked it at the mount! no case damage though and no damage to bars, levers, mirrors, top of fairing or can so I think they saved a lot.

only damage was scuff on fairing lower and crack at mount. I have rearsets as well so they also helped keep the bike off the ground.

I have uppers and lowers on the r1. When I crashed at knockhill I only had the lowers. No question they really did their job, took all the brunt that would no doubt have otherwise have ground through the casing. However as I didn't have the uppers at the time there was a fair bit of damage to the upper fairings. All fixed now and have the uppers fitted, but saying that I didn't need to drill owt.

I have no doubt that with the uppers fitted too, it wouldve saved me a sizeable wad of cash.

Highly recommended, when u sell on it'll be a plus for the buyer I reckon.

I've smashed that cover in a crash on the junction of Oxford St and Tottenham Court Road. It was a wet day and the inquisitive bike cop that turned up for a looksee, ended up with a woopsy that wiped out a load of pedestrians on the pavement adjacent to the crash site.

Wish I could have seen that :icon_bounce:

Archived