Talk to me about ZX9Rs

szrdave

I'm compiling a short-list of bikes in the hope of fining an addition to the stable this winter, as the SZR is too small for distance riding and too slow for a lot of tracks. The main criteria are:

- Over 600cc (I hate riding around town on 600cc IL4s, there is no bottom end power!)

- Sporty enough to do a couple of trackdays over the summer

- Reliable, as I don't have a garage to work in

- £1500 including buying the bike, sorting any problems + MOT/tax and insuring it

I've spent the last few weeks trawling ebay, gumtree and other classifieds, and as well as forfilling the points above the ZX9R keeps cropping up as a bit of a bargain.

My last experience with a Kwak was an AR50 I had when I was 16, which was an absolute shitter due to me (and probably all the previous teenage owners) neglecting any kind of servicing and often forgetting to top the oil up. Maybe it's time to give the big K another chance!

I guess I'm looking at a C model unless an E crops up especially cheap, how do they cope as a road/track bike? And are there any issues worth looking out for?

Here are a couple of examples of cheap ZX9R goodness:

E model

Nice C2

On C models check the gearbox dosen't jump out of second gear & keep on top of the brakes the 6 pots on them are wank.

But apart from that they're okay

So dodgy handling, knacker gearboxes and wank brakes. Maybe that explains why they're so cheap!

Although there were big changes from the B to C models by all accounts, with the Cs handling better.

Fairly huge changes between B & C models, less weight and much better handling. I used my 1999 C2 for touring, commuting & general thrashing, and it did everything I asked of it. Sure its not a 98/99 R1, but not a bad bike by any standards.

:thumbsup:

So dodgy handling, knacker gearboxes and wank brakes. Maybe that explains why they're so cheap!

Although there were big changes from the B to C models by all accounts, with the Cs handling better.

I don't think you'll want to consider B models. They seem to be more expensive if anything, and I get the impression they are less reliable and much heavier!

E models have slightly better engines but truely horrid looking headlights so ideally you'd have a C model with an E engine.

Make sure it doesn't smell rich, the needle jets in the carbs wear and they are not easily replaceable.

One of my mates has a R reg one. I remember thinking the engine was fantastic but the brakes were pretty poo. Decent brakes and it would have been a pretty decent bike.

I'm surprised at the lack of love for the 9R.

Although I was also surprised to find this in 'workshop' as I though I'd put it in 'general', but not as surprised as when the security guard had to call me back into Tesco earlier to explain scanning your clubcard at the self checkout normally precedes actually paying rather than just walking out.

Hopefully that's the end of today's surprises!

I'm surprised at the lack of love for the 9R.

Although I was also surprised to find this in 'workshop' as I though I'd put it in 'general', but not as surprised as when the security guard had to call me back into Tesco earlier to explain scanning your clubcard at the self checkout normally precedes actually paying rather than just walking out.

Hopefully that's the end of today's surprises!

Why surprised? It's underrated, that's why it's cheap!

the zx9r is a great bike. as said the b model is fecking heavy and can be a bit crap handling wise and they have head gasket problem but the c and e models are a completely different bike and worth riding just for the motors, trust me the kawasaki top end power is mint. as said be wary of c models that jump out of gear and on e models check that the frame isnt cracked just below the petrol tank (tbh both problems are rare)

yes the 6 pots fitted on both c and e models can be a pain in the arse to keep tip top but you can always fit 4 pots off a suzuki which are much less trouble. the c and e models are very similar, the e has a slightly better gearbox and the twin headlight both otherwise its only very minor changes.

for the money you really cant go wrong :eusa_whistle:

(also theres a very good forum for all things zx-9r related - www.zx-9r.net)

Indeedy - ZX-9s are brilliant real world bikes (C models onwards)

The gearbox thing on C models isn't that common, and seems to be exacerbated by dirty foot controls.

I bought my C2 in june 2007 with 32k on the clock, two owners and properly mint.I have since abused it, commuted, toured, thraped it all over the place.Now it has 67k up, will still hit over 180 on the clocks (more like 170) and handles pretty damned good.It's not as sharp handling as the equivalent year R1, but it's stronger at the top end and is very steady once you get it held down in a turn.

The only the B models are heavy - the C model claimed weight is 183kg, just 3 more than the 1999 'blade (more power, though)

Massively underrated bikes that will happily trot around a track when called for.

Have a go on one... you'll like it

Had my C2 for 4 yrs and 40k miles.....no gearbox issues....clean the linkage often and that cuts down the chance but was mainly C1's. Can be fixed by using E model bits if 3rd does go and that cures it. Big, big difference between B and c model's, B is overweight but a solid bike, the C is much lighter and can be made to handle with a bit of tweeking to the sussies. As ross has soad the 6 pots can be a pain but keep em clean and they are fine(easy swap for 4 pots from a gixxer tho). Mine did everything from commuting to the 'ring with ease. seriously underated bike IMO as wasnt as quick round the track as a blade and the R1 was launched same year as the C which got the headlines(still quicker in a straightline than either). Wynns dry/silkolene pro fst sorts carb icing but so does keeping the coolant flilter clean which most dont do and then moan. Check out zx9r.net and bikersoracle.com/zx9 for tons of info....yes i miss mine sometimes

The ZX9R E model is the best choice for the type of riding you are looking for out of the ZX9R range.

Trouble is - for £1500 you'll struggle to get a decent E model.

That leaves the C model - didn't handle aswell as the E model & had the potential to suffer 2nd or 3rd gear engagement-dog wear even if they were an improvement over the C1 model.

Gearbox trouble will only become more of a risk as mileage racks up. Fixable if you have a workshop - but you say you don't.

My advice is to save-up another £500.

For £2000 you'll get a clean E1 that's better-handling & with all the gearbox problems fixed.

Cracking frames in the E model are very rare - I've only seen one in ten years.

Here's a cheap E1 on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/kawasaki-zx9-year-20...=item33640c313d

I know you're asking about zx9r's but your criteria describes an srad 750 perfectly and in terms of handling will make a zx9r feel like it's from a generation behind.

A bit unfair...

I don't think you'll want to consider B models. They seem to be more expensive if anything, and I get the impression they are less reliable and much heavier!

E models have slightly better engines but truely horrid looking headlights so ideally you'd have a C model with an E engine.

Make sure it doesn't smell rich, the needle jets in the carbs wear and they are not easily replaceable.

And avoid if they have dynojet kits in -they fuck the needle jets that much quicker.

B models -I have no idea why they are valued so high, they are really a sporty ZZR rather than a blade competitor. Suffer from head gaskets going pop, and the occasional rods poking out of the cases. Engines are high value as the 7R guys want them.

C models -completely redesigned, blade matching weight, but with a Kawasaki ram-air assisted top end. Want more? I've ridden examples with 50K on them, and you honestly would not know. Very occasional head gaskets failure, but easy and obvious to spot. Gearboxes? Yep some people have had that, but I've bought one with those symptoms, cleaned the gearshifter, adjusted the chain and never had a problem! Brakes...same as on the 7R, 6R and GSXR/Busas. They can either be brilliant, or shit. Many people dump the dust seals, or swop to the 4 pots. Other spend big money on aftermarket stuff. If you get one, fit shorter dog bones for an extra inch (fnar) of ride height, making it turn like something that big shouldn't...then dump the mesh from the air filter, fit an akrapovic system (much less weight, much more power and buldges the midrange), if you have money put an Ohlins on it...if not, a 10R shock needs minimal mods. Oh, and put some gaffa take over the water holes in the ram-air tubes (water gets dropped onto the £100+ stick coils). Then put some decent tyres on it and go hunting more exotic stuff. Oh, it might be a good idea to change the cam position sensor (cheap).

Es...as above with a better spread of light from the headlight. And a stronger box. You can put E engines in C frames, but it's not straightforward as the C uses a cam position sensor, the E dosen't, so needs some wiring modifications.

Fs...as above with a different seat unit and calipers. Frames and engine are not interchangable with C/Es.

If it were my money, I'd get a C. An absoloute bargin, and I prefer them to blades.

Thanks for the advice, it seems like a C model is the way to go, and keep the gear linkage clean. I've been over to zx-9r.net and it looks like a decent owners forum.

I know you're asking about zx9r's but your criteria describes an srad 750 perfectly and in terms of handling will make a zx9r feel like it's from a generation behind.

The srad 750 is on the list, along with the YZF750 (I keep getting tempted by that dodgy looking one on ebay with the nice bits on it), ZX9R and early 'blade.

I think any of those would do everything I need, it's just keeping an eye out for the right one. I'll have more to spend if I haven't found something by the start of summer, although prices will have gone up by then too :icon_salut:

Thanks for the advice, it seems like a C model is the way to go, and keep the gear linkage clean. I've been over to zx-9r.net and it looks like a decent owners forum.

The srad 750 is on the list, along with the YZF750 (I keep getting tempted by that dodgy looking one on ebay with the nice bits on it), ZX9R and early 'blade.

I think any of those would do everything I need, it's just keeping an eye out for the right one. I'll have more to spend if I haven't found something by the start of summer, although prices will have gone up by then too :eusa_wall:

The SRAD won't be much fun after 50 miles unless you have midget legs & long arms.

Well I'm used to riding the SZR so anything would be a step up in terms of comfort!

I've been chatting to a guy on the 9R forum and am hopefully going to have a look at his bike soon. It's in a bit of a state but should still fall within budget once sorted.

The only problem is it'll cost me twice as much to insure a ZX9R as anything else!!

The SRAD won't be much fun after 50 miles unless you have midget legs & long arms.

I'm 6'4" and I manage OK on it. I got the seat refoamed so it built it up by about 30mm and that's given me more than enough leg room. The arm reach thing I'm fine with although that could be due to me and my fantastic athletic body/gangly and slightly awkward frame.

Also had a C1, many moons ago though........

I`ve had loads of Sportsbikes, and seriously, I remember the 9R as one of my favourite bikes ever ! It just did everything you need of it, and the top-end was typical Kawasaki..........ie, ballistic !!!!

Get one, and you`ll love it.

I`ve also owned an SRAD, and a `98 blade (plus some newer blades), and honestly, you`ll enjoy any of the 3 :thumbsup:

Well I'm used to riding the SZR so anything would be a step up in terms of comfort!

I've been chatting to a guy on the 9R forum and am hopefully going to have a look at his bike soon. It's in a bit of a state but should still fall within budget once sorted.

The only problem is it'll cost me twice as much to insure a ZX9R as anything else!!

OOh ! who you been talking to ?

OOh ! who you been talking to ?

The guy with the cheap C2 advertised in 'classifieds', nearly all of his 13 posts have been trying to sell his bike so he's not a regular forum contributor (username bennyboi88).

I've told him I'd only offer in the region of £800 for it, as it's got no tax or MOT, needs a battery and the bodywork is in a bit of a state. Even at that price I'd spend a couple of hundred quid getting it on the road and end up with a tatty C2 for a grand, where as I've seen clean looking Cs with lower mileage go for that sort of money on ebay/gumtree etc. Hmmm...

I had a C model, the gearbox went 2nd, fixed it, nearly a year to the day 3rd went in it.

44000 miles did'nt show it at all. Sold it for £800.

Great bikes IMO but maybe try and get an E model if you can, the selectors in the gearbox were beefed up.

They should be pretty afforable by now.

The guy with the cheap C2 advertised in 'classifieds', nearly all of his 13 posts have been trying to sell his bike so he's not a regular forum contributor (username bennyboi88).

I've told him I'd only offer in the region of £800 for it, as it's got no tax or MOT, needs a battery and the bodywork is in a bit of a state. Even at that price I'd spend a couple of hundred quid getting it on the road and end up with a tatty C2 for a grand, where as I've seen clean looking Cs with lower mileage go for that sort of money on ebay/gumtree etc. Hmmm...

Yeah, that one's a bit of a state and asking £1150 is a piss-take

Like you say, even at £800 it's a gamble - doesn't look overly well cared for.If I was looking to sell mine, I'd only be looking for £1100 ish because it's got a few miles on it ( a smidge under 70k), but it is in pretty good nick and the only thing to have actually gone wrong was the cam position sensor .

Been through 4 rads in 3 years, mind, but that's down to the commute to work on country roads :eusa_think:

Just had a look on Biketrader and ebay, and can't believe how much some people are asking for ZX-9Rs.

I know it's a brilliant, underrated bike, but the prices are silly - especially at this time of year.

If you look at the completed listings on ebay they're not selling, and biketrader prices are alway piss-takingly high.

There is an ex-police F2P on gumtree, mint with 37k, up for £1800. It's a bit out of my price-range though, and I don't mind something a bit cosmetically rough as I'll be less worried about crashing it on a track day :eusa_think:

I might give this guy a call and see what the 'few bits and pieces' are, apart from the snapped indicator/broken fairing it looks ok.

If you look at the completed listings on ebay they're not selling, and biketrader prices are alway piss-takingly high.

There is an ex-police F2P on gumtree, mint with 37k, up for £1800. It's a bit out of my price-range though, and I don't mind something a bit cosmetically rough as I'll be less worried about crashing it on a track day :angry:

I might give this guy a call and see what the 'few bits and pieces' are, apart from the snapped indicator/broken fairing it looks ok.

That looks like a decent enough deal if it's only that panel and the indicator.Looks good and clean other wise and standard.Swingarm looks to be tidy (unlike mine which looks like it has barnacles)

If you fancy some support looking over it, I'm in Slough, so not far away.

Thanks for the offer gurninman, I need to speak to my insurance company first though and see if they can improve the online quote.

I compared costs to insure the SZR and GSXR750/ZX9R/Speed triple/YZF750/Firestorm/CBR929 and the 9R is a good £200 more expensive than anything else :)

Ins-1.jpg

Archived