PTR Corse slipper clutch

MonkeyJim

PTR Corse slipper clutch:

looking at one for the vintage R1, anyone got any advice / hints / tips on this particular brand?

I've got an EBC heavy duty clutch kit in mine as standard Yam clutches are made of cheese.

And not a hard cheese like Parmigiano-Reggiano, more like an over-ripe Brie

any advice appreciated. Be that about cheese or slipper clutches :rolleyes:

What he said ^^ :P

'Cheap' (er) slipper clutch kits just aren't worth the hassle...

Sigma Performance (UK) - Neil Spalding's company(?)

STM (Italy)

Suter (?)

You'll not see anything else gracing a race grid, which should say enough :pb2:

Chaps - thanks. Much appreciated.

Some good honest advice, so I will give it a miss. It tickled my fancy as it is going cheap. Now I know why - you get what you pay for I guess.

Someone on an R1 forum has said similarly. Slipper clutch will have to wait until I can get a decent one.

I'll stick with my planned upgrade to a Barnett coil spring conversion that's already lurking in my garage, waiting to be fitted

BarnettClutch1.jpg

Bit disappointed about the lack of cheese advice though :pb2:

Chaps - thanks. Much appreciated.

Some good honest advice, so I will give it a miss. It tickled my fancy as it is going cheap. Now I know why - you get what you pay for I guess.

Someone on an R1 forum has said similarly. Slipper clutch will have to wait until I can get a decent one.

I'll stick with my planned upgrade to a Barnett coil spring conversion that's already lurking in my garage, waiting to be fitted

BarnettClutch1.jpg

Bit disappointed about the lack of cheese advice though :pb2:

Get some genuien Barnett plates as well. Yes, they're expensive, especially when you compare them with something like EBC, but they are significantly better (imho).

I'm a mild cheese man myself... Can't be doing with that waft of yer 'blue' cheeses.

Can't be a bit of grilled cheesiness... Edam, dash of sauce... That's the ticket? Cheddar = British!

I would give them a miss.

Sigma are quite good but I have no experience with them.

STM are the absolute dogs, like a nice 18 month aged Parmigiano Reggiano. Which is wonderful with grapes or with a few drops of balsamic vinegar drizzled on top.

The cheese, not the clutch though, I think balsamic vinegar would ruin the clutch basket.

Also allow me to suggest a nice pecorino from Pienza (my neck o'the woods), proper nice when accompanied with a nice ripe pear or just on its own with some proper bread (not the nylon ciabattas you get down the supermarket).

Hope this helps!

Get some genuien Barnett plates as well. Yes, they're expensive, especially when you compare them with something like EBC, but they are significantly better (imho).

I'm a mild cheese man myself... Can't be doing with that waft of yer 'blue' cheeses.

Can't be a bit of grilled cheesiness... Edam, dash of sauce... That's the ticket? Cheddar = British!

I would give them a miss.

Sigma are quite good but I have no experience with them.

STM are the absolute dogs, like a nice 18 month aged Parmigiano Reggiano. Which is wonderful with grapes or with a few drops of balsamic vinegar drizzled on top.

The cheese, not the clutch though, I think balsamic vinegar would ruin the clutch basket.

Also allow me to suggest a nice pecorino from Pienza (my neck o'the woods), proper nice when accompanied with a nice ripe pear or just on its own with some proper bread (not the nylon ciabattas you get down the supermarket).

Hope this helps!

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. Proper reviews, about cheese. With just a hint of clutch. That is the true spirit of PB :pb2:

Shirley the slipper clutch baskets are 'hard anodized' or summat so would be fairly resistant to the effects of balsamic vinegar, unless it was a particularly well aged variety.

ooooh.... a nice pecorino :blink:

Taleggio stinks to high heaven but its worth a taste, toma is good too.

As for the clutch basket suffering from balsamic vinegar, I reckon a nice reduction of some proper aged Modena stuff would do some damage.

Also a bad idea to let it get anywhere near bodywork too. Like edible Dot 5...

• 3 weeks later...
Taleggio stinks to high heaven but its worth a taste, toma is good too.

As for the clutch basket suffering from balsamic vinegar, I reckon a nice reduction of some proper aged Modena stuff would do some damage.

Also a bad idea to let it get anywhere near bodywork too. Like edible Dot 5...

No cheese bollocks but I have a PTR clutch on my SP1 & it works great. Maybe I'm lucky but it doesnt look any different in design to the Sigma I fitted to a 916 (didnt measure anything though so it may differ)

Nick

I'm surprised at what you say about the stock clutch plates - mine lasted reet well in my 5JJ-engined kit car, and most of the bike-engined kit car fraternity have tried most types of plates (including EBC and Barnett) and all have gone back to stock plates as they wear better and give more feel! :tumbleweed:

Archived