SY650/1000 Fork Swap

Mark/Foggy

A properly front ended SV650 ('03) turned up this morning, courtesy of the teams machinist's son. We owe this family big time, he's been turning Phase One stuff for 20 yrs.

Well the forks came out of the bike easy enough, stripping them was simply a matter of angle grinding through the stanchions, where the major bend was (bottom yoke) until I could get the springs and bottom damper rod out. Proper Fooked then. Rest of the internals pretty much fell out. Yokes made it through the ordeal. :eusa_whistle:

Easy answer is a set of new stanchions from ABE, well it will be until I find out how difficult it is to get the lower damper tube soft bush reatining collar out. Anyhooo!

Who's got an expanded diagram floating about and anybody got the fluid height and weight handy? I'll have it back out on the road again next weekend with a following wind.

Trouble was, the lad has invested in a set of '04 GSXR 750 usd forks, yokes, front wheel and clip ons. Now these are loverrrly compared with the standard shit and the stem seems to be the same. Sadly they're 40mm ish too short and the SV wheel has a drive hub for the front wheel speedo cable.

Now this set of conundrums is obviously a stopper without knockin up a set of drop yokes and the machinist is only a turner and doesn't own a mill.

Suggestions pls, the lad would like to go USD, wants a front end upgrade, but the sensible money is on invest in new stachions and e-bay off the forks and yokes to a happy home. Front wheel is an obvious, breaker swap out GSXR for SV.

I'm pretty sure the stem is shorter and the top of it is a smaller diameter than that of the gsxr stem. Its a common conversion, certainly in the states. You can use the gsxr set up and just put a bespoke top bearing in to the sv headstock. bloke called zoran at twf racing has the bearings made for $50 posted, had a few of him for jobs i've done.

If you use the gsxr front wheel the effect on geometry is negligeable with the shorter forks.

Assuming 2 things: Kawasaki speedo drive gearing is the same as suzuki and that ZX7R forks are the same thickness as GSXR, you could get yourself a set of forks off a ZX7r, which I beleive are a bit longer than late GSXR forks, and you'll still have speedo drive. Or, you could shop about and try for a set of the late cradle framed gsxr forks, again they're all usd from about '92 I think and they're fairly long as USD's go, and they also come with some nissin calipers which although they're normally mounted (not radial like his new forks) are actually really quite nice brakes. Also on this subject, you'll need a new master cylinder, the SV brakes are only 2 pots, but I bet a posh radial one will hit the clocks. Early GSXR usd's go for a decent bit of wedge usually though, although not much different to 04 ones I wouldn't have thought.

Assuming 2 things: Kawasaki speedo drive gearing is the same as suzuki and that ZX7R forks are the same thickness as GSXR, you could get yourself a set of forks off a ZX7r, which I beleive are a bit longer than late GSXR forks, and you'll still have speedo drive. Or, you could shop about and try for a set of the late cradle framed gsxr forks, again they're all usd from about '92 I think and they're fairly long as USD's go, and they also come with some nissin calipers which although they're normally mounted (not radial like his new forks) are actually really quite nice brakes. Also on this subject, you'll need a new master cylinder, the SV brakes are only 2 pots, but I bet a posh radial one will hit the clocks. Early GSXR usd's go for a decent bit of wedge usually though, although not much different to 04 ones I wouldn't have thought.

Cheers matey, I'm about there with my thinking after a quick browse on the stuff above. Didn't know about the ZX7R though, did know that things like ZX10 are long in the old fork dept, phnarr phnarr. Had ruled them out on cost, any body got a length bottom yoke to spindle for ZX7R?

mark ill chuck you a 1 compleat zx7 fork,and the other is missing the station but has the internals if this helps,they are just sitting in the shed,and iv a set of zxr750 wide track yokes as well ill chuck these give us a bell.

Can you press the stem out of the sv yokes and re press n weld it into the gsxr yoke? If ur mans got a lathe then spacers shudnt be a problem. I've done it a few times on other bikes no need for obscure bearings

Can you press the stem out of the sv yokes and re press n weld it into the gsxr yoke? If ur mans got a lathe then spacers shudnt be a problem. I've done it a few times on other bikes no need for obscure bearings

Genuinely not a problem, Dave the Machinist has been making stems for 20yrs and we've got a 10ton press next to the bike!

The bigger problem is that the GSXR forks are a full 50mm shorter o/all than the SV's. Now, having done a fair bit of component relocation in the hunt for a more crash proof bike, I can see a potential issue. Even I'm not gonna move the front cylinder up into the rear subframe in the hope that I can get some clearance for the front wheel on maximum bump. Might have a bit opf an effect on the geometry, as well. :icon_bounce:

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=84789

Go here, click around.

A properly front ended SV650 ('03) turned up this morning, courtesy of the teams machinist's son. We owe this family big time, he's been turning Phase One stuff for 20 yrs.

Well the forks came out of the bike easy enough, stripping them was simply a matter of angle grinding through the stanchions, where the major bend was (bottom yoke) until I could get the springs and bottom damper rod out. Proper Fooked then. Rest of the internals pretty much fell out. Yokes made it through the ordeal. :eusa_whistle:

Easy answer is a set of new stanchions from ABE, well it will be until I find out how difficult it is to get the lower damper tube soft bush reatining collar out. Anyhooo!

Who's got an expanded diagram floating about and anybody got the fluid height and weight handy? I'll have it back out on the road again next weekend with a following wind.

Trouble was, the lad has invested in a set of '04 GSXR 750 usd forks, yokes, front wheel and clip ons. Now these are loverrrly compared with the standard shit and the stem seems to be the same. Sadly they're 40mm ish too short and the SV wheel has a drive hub for the front wheel speedo cable.

Now this set of conundrums is obviously a stopper without knockin up a set of drop yokes and the machinist is only a turner and doesn't own a mill.

Suggestions pls, the lad would like to go USD, wants a front end upgrade, but the sensible money is on invest in new stachions and e-bay off the forks and yokes to a happy home. Front wheel is an obvious, breaker swap out GSXR for SV.

Archived