zxr750 h2 engine options

hipringle

I,m picking a mint zxr750 later this week with I,m assuming a knackered engine (big noise but cant find out whats up apparently)

will any year zxr750 engine fit without too much hassle its just I may have trouble sourcing one for an h2 ?

thanks.

I think the H1 ( not the three cyl 500 ) motor is the same , IIRC the GPX motor is similar , what sort of noise is it ? if it's a loud whining it may just be the alternator belt

slipping alternator belts are common on these and rattles are common but big problems aren't as the engines on zxr's are largely bulletproof, particularly on the earlier models. Gpx engines do fit although the H1 engine is virtually identical but is likely tro be even harder to source than a replacement H2. In all honesty though, you'd probably be surprised as to the availability of spare engines for these, many are broken nowadays and they come up on eBay with some regularity. As an option, a popular mod years ago was to fit a zx9r engine as I recall. Apparently, only mods to the engine mounts and airbox are required although you may need to research further before buying a 9 motor. If you decide to go down this route or any that will facilitate the need to relieve yourself of the noisy lump, I would be happy to give it a good home. ;)

The ZX9 engine swap was for the later models, J K L M & P (ZX7). Not the H.

Although someone has put a ZX10 motor in an H chassis, I'll see if I can find the link.

Thanks chaps, I,ll hang fire till I hear the noise for myself, looks like I havent many options then for retro fitting a different engine, I was hoping a later zxr one would fit, ah well such is life.

Fingers crossed I "think " it might just be the cam tensioner. Sometimes the engine is quiet but when you rev it more often than not it makes a really loud rattling noise (loud enough to make you wince) which seems to indicate nothing terminal but just a iffy tensioner, any opinions? & is there a spring in it or something I can replace as a new tensioner is @£70..

I,ll have to make a start on it tommorow after work, tank & carbs off I think, cheers.

I'd have thought (not my strong point...) that an iffy tensioner would be the other way round, quiet on revving up, rattley on the over-run.

I'd have thought (not my strong point...) that an iffy tensioner would be the other way round, quiet on revving up, rattley on the over-run.

;) Damm you & your presumptions ugly I think you,re right tho it pains me so much to type it :lol: . The tensioner looks new, I took it out & it "tensions" fine when you release the screw thread as it should. Ah well, cant find a h engine so I might break it or sell as it is.

Archived