Valve clearances.

Gregorious77

The time has come to service my G2 ZX6R and the clearances need checking on this one.

I dont have a problem with doing them but I do have 1 question.

Where is the best place to get Kawasaki shims? my local bike shops are shite so I am not even going to bother and the nearest Quack dealer to me is a fair way away. The bike is off the road for the winter so I may as well order online.

14 out of 16 are out of spec (all too tight) and out of the 2 that are in spec 1 is bang on the lower limit.

I am going to replace the shim for one that takes it to the middle of the limit.

I have not taken the cams off yet so not sure what shims i can move about and what I need to get.

This does confirm my suspicions that the local bike shop didnt even check the clearances the last time they were due which is why I always do my own servicing and repairs.

Make sure you get the right ones

http://www.maxmx.co.uk/listproduct.html?catID=539

are listed as kawasaki , best thing is make a note of your clearances , cable tie the cam chain to the pulleys , remove the tensioner and remove the cams , measure the od of the shims to make sure your getting the correct fella's , be very careful when re-assembling to make sure the carrier goes down parallel to the head , all of the bolts 1 turn at a time , I've heard of people cracking them

Make sure you get the right ones

http://www.maxmx.co.uk/listproduct.html?catID=539

are listed as kawasaki , best thing is make a note of your clearances , cable tie the cam chain to the pulleys , remove the tensioner and remove the cams , measure the od of the shims to make sure your getting the correct fella's , be very careful when re-assembling to make sure the carrier goes down parallel to the head , all of the bolts 1 turn at a time , I've heard of people cracking them

I have now measured the shims and setup a spreadsheet with clearances and shim sizes then worked out what can be swapped about which left only 6 to buy.

Got some ordered off ebay for 14 quid.

I will be careful on reassembly as I have heard of people snapping camshafts!! I have done cam work before even though it was a mk2 golf.

Why do you cable tie the chain onto the pulleys? I just tied some wire round it to stop it falling down into the case.

Archived