Smoothing/filing off welds

Gackt

Hey all. I've got a GSX-R WP frame knocking about that I'm wanting to use as a long term project (My girlfriend and I are expecting our first child soon so I'm not going to be particularly flush for the foreseeable future, which at least affords me the luxury of a leisurely build). I want to file/grind off all the exterior weld seams and then have it powdercoated so it looks like it's a one-piece casting, or something. Would this effect the structural integrity at all? I only decided to do this on some random whim, so I'm not too fussed about swerving it if it's a sketchy idea. I also want to do the same to a single-sided swinger. I don't know what engine I'll end up using, but I want something different and have been toying with the idea of DR 800 lump (providing it fits, physically and visuallly). Would the vibrations from a big single effect the smoothed-off welds? I'm just throwing ideas about at the moment, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ta, people.

removing material from the weld will affect the strength of the joint, i would recommend getting it grooved out like a v shape that is quite deep, like almost all the way through, then have it welded up again so you have more of the weld below the surface of the frame, then you should be able to take a lot of the proud material off, its going to be a long job, look at cabbies work, he likes a smoothed one! when he has bits done/does them his self? he has a very wide weld done so that its easier to smooth in and is over a greater area so it doesn't loose as much materail in the weld. its entirely possible but take your time and do the research, ask around if there is a welder that would be ok to do it aswell, not just some bloke who says bung me a drink and i'll see you right (specially if he lives in a caravan!) if you do it though it will look the bollox, but thats my opinion.

Hmmm. A lot more involved than I anticipated. I'll look into it more thoroughly. I've seen a few frames here and there and liked the look. I had assumed it was the result few evenings spent filing away. Thanks for the advice, man.

DR800 motor would fit with tons of room to spare. Be carefull with the welds, I polished off the welds on my first 7/11 swingarm, a few months later I noticed what appeared to be a hairline crack on the weld between the arm & chain adjuster casting. :beerchug:

Edited to add: I would PM Cabbie about polishing welds, his look soopurb! :thumbsup:

Yeah, it'll be no where near the size the the gixxer lump (anyone got rough length, width and height measurements for a DR 800 engine).

Hmmm, I'm less enthused about the whole polishing welds thing, now. Getting it done properly sounds like it be a fair job and would cost a bit to get done. I'll see what cabbie has to say about it.

Just a suggestion but you can pick up late model GSXR400 (GK76A) frames pretty cheap. They're smaller than the 750 and 1100 frames but still have similar styling and I reckon a DR800 lump would still fit in. Also cos it's a suzuki most front/rear ends can be swapped with little hassle.

removing material from the weld will affect the strength of the joint, i would recommend getting it grooved out like a v shape that is quite deep, like almost all the way through, then have it welded up again so you have more of the weld below the surface of the frame, then you should be able to take a lot of the proud material off, its going to be a long job, look at cabbies work, he likes a smoothed one! when he has bits done/does them his self? he has a very wide weld done so that its easier to smooth in and is over a greater area so it doesn't loose as much materail in the weld. its entirely possible but take your time and do the research, ask around if there is a welder that would be ok to do it aswell, not just some bloke who says bung me a drink and i'll see you right (specially if he lives in a caravan!) if you do it though it will look the bollox, but thats my opinion.

Welds arn't layed on top of the frame they penatrate into the parent metal, so anything above the level of the frame surface can be removed.

Welds arn't layed on top of the frame they penatrate into the parent metal, so anything above the level of the frame surface can be removed.

I agree. the weakest part is next to the weld on the parent material anyway in the heat affected zone (HAZ).

yer wot e sed! its likely that the weld will not have penetrated enough to have formed a puddle on the otherside of the parent metal, if you could be sure that it was then yeah flatten the weld right off, i just dont think its worth risking falure on something as critical as a frame just for looks, but as i said if you can cut a deep v into the weled piece so that you could then get a really good deep penetration (ask the misses) then you should be good to go, of course this is dependant on who then welds the v back up. ive had to have this kind of thing done on the mito as the headstock was cracked where its welded to the main frame from too many ham fisted wheelies.

You've clearly not inspected an early 90's Suzuki frame up close.

Archived