Chain and sprocket choices

lorenzo

Am I going to notice and difference going from a 530 to a 525 chain on the mighty srad? I've just been mooching, the later bikes come with a 525 anyway. Is contemplating leaving a 530 just silly, what sort of performance increase would I see? Come on knowledgable people, sway me one way or the other. I'm going to stick with standard front gearing, and then go 2 up on the rear because wheelies are cool and stuff, innit.

Don't do many miles, maybe 3 or 4 thousand a year, mainly fair weather because I'm a fanny, but sometimes I might take it out as an anti-traffic device and end up getting very wet, a couple of hundred miles on the motorway at a time, plus I try and get 3 or 4 trackdays each year in too.

i think you might be able to tell the difference, because it is 'rotating' mass, but the gearing change will blow that minor difference into the weeds!

m and p do a 520 conversion for an srad

B&C Express have a sprocket search on their site, I find it really handy for cross-referencing parts and getting stuff to fit. If you ring up, you generally get the whole 'computer says no' thing.

Yep it's going to be B&C express. I might just bottle it and go with a boring normal 530. A mate on facebook reminded me how I got given a TRX essentially free from him after his snapped chain essentially mullered everything on the left hand side of the bike; exhaust, engine, box, tail plastics, even the sidestand.

You guys reckon it'd be ok to use a 525 on an R1 (supposed to be 530 I think). And would you need to adjust the sprocket size or would a regular renthal do the job.

If you change the chain pitch you will also have to change the sprockets. It's a good idea to change both at the same time anyway. Worn sprockets will wear a new chain out quicker over time.

If it's a road bike no point in deviating from a 530 IMO.

Yep it's going to be B&C express. I might just bottle it and go with a boring normal 530. A mate on facebook reminded me how I got given a TRX essentially free from him after his snapped chain essentially mullered everything on the left hand side of the bike; exhaust, engine, box, tail plastics, even the sidestand.

Thats most likely because it's a bit twin, so a bit harsher on it's driveline.

Archived