Buying 3-phase machine tools

Kawasakifreak

the only comment i can make is that we had 3 phase put in for the very purpose of using 3 phase tools (compressor, four poster ect) if i was buying tools for use in my shed i would buy single phase ones or if i could lay my hands on them i would buy single phase motors for the 3 phase tools and then sell the 3 phase motors.

constant curent 3 phas4e items can be converted with an inverta for single phase.but varable curent items put to much on the inverta,a lath can be converted,but like likes of a compresa no so.

I've had a Clarke 3 phase converter running on my mill for 4-5 years now, its not in constant use but i've used it a fair bit making stuff and never had any problems.

I think there may be a bearing going as its whiring a bit now but still working fine (apart from the fact i've just jinxed it)

As Sie says you can only use them on stuff where the current is fairly steady, ie you couldn't run a 3ph welder on one because they tend to be on and off rather than constant. You would need a rotary converter for variable load machines and they're proper money.

I did think about changing the motors for single phase but i don't know enough about it to do it without breaking something.

Cheersd

Chris

My brother converted my old mans 3 phase denford lathe to run single phase with a mitsubishi inverter picked up brand new off ebay. He made up a box and all the trip switches and everything work as they would on 3 phase. Ill try get a picture. The lathe runs spot on. and with the inverter has the bonus of slowing it right down for screwcutting and slow speed stuff.

Archived