O-rings

wazrs257

I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative to genuine head o-rings for my Rotax 250. There are two sealing the water jacket, the inner one's easy because it's a standard size (I've already got a dozen of those), but the outer one isn't & Rotax want £6.88 plus vat each. I had intended to buy a few to keep in stock, but not at that price! Its 129mm diameter and 2.5mm cross section. Any ideas? I've seen kits where you buy a lenght of the correct cross section 'rubber' and join it with a special glue, would these be suitable for sealing the waterjacket? :eusa_think:

I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative to genuine head o-rings for my Rotax 250. There are two sealing the water jacket, the inner one's easy because it's a standard size (I've already got a dozen of those), but the outer one isn't & Rotax want £6.88 plus vat each. I had intended to buy a few to keep in stock, but not at that price! Its 129mm diameter and 2.5mm cross section. Any ideas? I've seen kits where you buy a lenght of the correct cross section 'rubber' and join it with a special glue, would these be suitable for sealing the waterjacket? :D

http://www.epm.com/metric_chart3.htm

Brilliant thanks, all the size charts I've seen have been in imperial! :eusa_whistle:

Sweet, I haven't used them before mind but I presume it means the one you want is an off the shelf item.... Shame they don't list the 1.8mm x 109mm oring that I want!

:eusa_pray:

I've e-mailed these guys for a price for 10off, will let you know when they get back to me. http://www.epm.com/metric_chart3.htm

Brammer will get a call if that doesn't work out price wise.

On a slight side note, I've just come accross a mega tuned top end for my 257, so if I can get the o-rings sorted, it'll be fitted before I book it in to be dyno'd.

:eusa_pray:

Edited for crap, slightly tipsy grammer!

Hi just a quick one about o rings, its a standard emergency procedure in the oil industry to cut and superglue 'o' rings together. Ihave done it 100s of times in training schools and demonstrations then pressure tested up-to 10k psi. Just make a nice clean square cut with new stanley blade add one very small blob of superglue to one end and line up then push together blow on it while still pushing together about 15 secs and walla there you go. It just takes a bit of practice lining them up between your forefingers and thumbs. Good luck if i get time i will make a short video if anybody is interested.

EPM havn't bothered getting back to me with a price, bloody americans! Polymax do them for 41p each, so I think I'll order a dozen of those. It'll still work out cheaper than one genuine Rotax o-ring!

Thanks for the replies guys. :lol:

Archived