Recovering a seat

szrdave

The seat cover on my bike is has perished and split, I guess from sitting unused in the sun we had this summer. Not a problem i thought, and emailed a few local car upholsters to get some quotes to recover it in plain black vinyl.

I was expecting it to cost about £50 or so, but have got quotes back of £85-£165 so far which seems like a lot to stretch a bit of vinyl over the base and staple it down. Or am I just tight?!

A quick browse of ebay shows black vinyl and 'heavy duty' staplers at reasonable prices, but will I make a mess of it?! Any advice from someone who has attempted this previously would be appreciated, if it's going to end up looking like a baggy arse I'll save myself the hassle and give it top the professionals!

The seat in question:

IMAG0125.jpg

Number 6 on this very forum does seat recovering IIRC so it might be worth getting a quote from him? Alternatively if you're not after a mega flashy job then I normally use a local marine upholsterers who charged me about £15 for both seats off a cagiva mito recovering in blain black vinyl a couple of years ago and it's still going strong. Might be worth seeing if you can find one of them? Hope this helps, Ben.

It's not easy if you have any sort of shapes apart from totally flat.

I did one on an early VFR750 - it took me ages and looked shit.Ended up just covering the seat with gaffer tape.

I's simple did mine the other day , used some alcantara from ebay

Started with this

491.jpg

Used 6mm staples and a heavy duty stapler , kept pulling the material tight

Ended with this

494.jpg

493.jpg

I's simple did mine the other day , used some alcantara from ebay

Started with this

491.jpg

Used 6mm staples and a heavy duty stapler , kept pulling the material tight

Ended with this

494.jpg

493.jpg

I did a honda XR600 seat with some cheapo blue vinyl(?) and a heavy duty staple gun, warmed up the vinyl with a hairdryer to help stretch it over the contours and used spray on adhesive on the seat foam. Worked very well!

Doing it in plain black would be £55 but you'd have to get it to me so you'll need to add carriage both ways.

I guess you're not near London then? It's a shame, as that's the sort of money I was expecting, and from a PB forum member/with forum recommendation too :)

Unfortunately as I've only got one bike at the moment I need somewhere local who can do a quick job.

If I can pick up a h/d stapler cheap off the 'bay I'll give it a go myself, but the shape is quite complex so it might end up more 'dog turd' than 'the dogs bollocks'!

I guess you're not near London then? It's a shame, as that's the sort of money I was expecting, and from a PB forum member/with forum recommendation too :eusa_whistle:

Unfortunately as I've only got one bike at the moment I need somewhere local who can do a quick job.

If I can pick up a h/d stapler cheap off the 'bay I'll give it a go myself, but the shape is quite complex so it might end up more 'dog turd' than 'the dogs bollocks'!

I'm junction 15 on the M1 you are more than welcome to ride up and I'll do it while you thaw out. With a bit of planning it shouldn't take more than an hour.

As you said you've got a shape there that requires a very pliable vinyl, a lot of them only stretch in one direction.

I'm junction 15 on the M1 you are more than welcome to ride up and I'll do it while you thaw out. With a bit of planning it shouldn't take more than an hour.

As you said you've got a shape there that requires a very pliable vinyl, a lot of them only stretch in one direction.

yep used to have to plan sound system's according to the way the vinyl stretched so yes if you want it to look good and you've never done it before it might be worth the ride, besides it's an excuse to take the bike out

Obviously, I can't make the distance any shorter to get to him, but I can heartily recommend the work No 6's done in the past, having seen his own bike and also having had him do my own seat. In fact, at some point in the not too distant future I'm going to have to have a word about this GS seat...

I'm sold! The seat will definitely be coming to you Number 6, although there is no way I'm riding that far on a bike that uncomfortable in this weather! I've got another bike to look at after Xmas with a view to adding it to the stable, so I'll either post the seat up or ride the (prospective) new bike up basking in that new bike glow.

Either way I'll be in touch via pm when I'm ready :lol:

Great finish No 6!!

I have done plain black ones my self. As said warm the vinyl, staple one side in middle then the opposite side then the ends in middle and fill the gaps keep good tension. As not to crease.... Take your time....

Number 6

How much to remove the strap and fit a gel insert into the pillion pad on a 929 Fireblade?

Archived