Linked brakes, what's the difference?

Annaz

I have got linked brakes on my bike at the moment, so line from master cylinder to calliper one, then a line from there to the other calliper.

I normally use a two line setup but the linked style thing I've got going at moment seems to work fine.

Is there any difference?

yeah you use less fluid to fill the brake lines other than that i dont know, but i cant see there being any massive differences between the two systems. seem to remember something about pressure in a system like this is constant so it wont change from caliper 1 to caliper 2 but i could be wrong.

I don't know for certain, but this was mentioned in one of the other threads, something to do with racing regulations and linked brake systems; a failure of the line in a linked system would lose use in both calipers, whereas with two separate lines one would still operate in the event of a failure in the other.. I think :icon_blackeye:

In terms of braking perfomance I doubt there would be any difference unless there was a pad sticking on one caliper and it boiled the fluid serving both of them

Nope, there's no difference at all, twin lines are just simple is all. I personally always run one down one over. The only difference is that with twin lines, if you *pinch* a line, the other line will still work and you keep pressure. With one down and one over, if the drop line gets pinched, you get no pressure to either caliper.

If you actually pierce a line in either set up, you're fucked. :icon_blackeye:

HTH

Archived