the welding thred. ali tig and mig

speedy sie

due to the forum showing intrest in ali tig welding ill put up some tip and advise.

so here goes.

first of all,please free to ask questions and ill post up a relpy.

well tig ali welding needs a ac set.(dut iv done some small welds on dc reversed polartey,it can be done!)

ac alternating curent.

the first thig you will notice when the tig welder starts to weld ali is this nothing like welding steel or stain.

the first thing you will notice ,and will notic is the tip(tungsten,wich sould be an ali spec tuggsetan) is now shaped difrent to steel,the tip soud be made a vet low angle,or even better,fire the tip up on a high dc curent and ment the end to a ball,(the ball should not be bigger then the electrode,just a nice dome on the end,it will be nice and shiney if dome right)...you are now ready to start to weld.

place the electrode just poking out fram the gass shroude 1/2mm to start hold the tip 5mm fram weld surface and fire up,this is were it goes tek..

the tip will fire up and not like stell tig were the curent is arked to the surface,nop the gig difrence with ali tig is there is now ark to the surface,the thing will look like it gone hay wire but hang in there this is normal..

wach close and you will see the ali start to get hot then as if by majic the ali will sproduce a shiney surface this is now ready for the filler rod.

when all is fuiled and shiney you can feed the filler rod in hold the the blod and move the tip falward(this is all about rythem no and need practace)

the idea is move the tip falward ,wach the previouse blob,let the next bit in front of the blob warm up to shiney surface and feed the next bit of filler rod in, and ther you go just keep moving the tip falward and adding a bit of filler rod,let the tip melt the rod and suck it into the prevoiuse bolb and remove the filler rod,this takes soem time to get use to.

so here agine heet up

shiney surface

add filler rod

let the tip melt tje rod

remove the rod

move falward

back to the top

easy.

tomorow amps and rods,ac wave explaned,and tip and shroude selection.

sorry about the spelling im getting worse latley.......

And dont forget to attach the return lead to the job unless you like a bit of a/c down your arm!!

I have launched a tig torch across the workshop before.

And dont forget to attach the return lead to the job unless you like a bit of a/c down your arm!!

I have launched a tig torch across the workshop before.

A tig torch has launched me across a workshop before. Ouch :icon_puke_r:

i have how to's on an ac/dc tig welder and a spot welder, but they're in polish so if anyone can translate i would be more than happy to share, ive tried google translate and it does remarkably well but its a literal translation and makes very little sense

Archived