Hydraulic workbench.

alexp5

Due to me been all old an' that, and having knackered knees, I'm after said item to make fettling time a little easier.

Can anyone recommend a decent hydraulic lift / workbench for home garage use?

I've looked at Sealey's and Clarkes... all seem much the same to me.

Any I don't know about?

Needs to be long enough fer your average litre superbike and a few hundred quid.

Cheers.

Hi Alex,

I got this one from a seller on ebay, it was really cheap, brand new delivered I think it was under £200, it is the same as the ones you mentioned.

I love it, makes jobs so much simpler and less stressful.

I have two paddock stands, one fits but the other is too wide, so you may need to get another.

DSC_0978.jpg

Cheers Monty.

Is it the type that uses a normal workshop jack to lift? Are they pretty sturdy and safe?

I have paddock stands (front / rear) and I copied a mates Abba stand and built it in my breaks at work (welder, y'see). I have plans to build one from scratch with steel from work, but after pricing it up (boss is a tightass) it'd be cheaper to buy one outright.

I also don't have much space in the garage (2.5 metres x 4.5 metres, big workbench, toolbox & rollcab, Mrs SV + my Fazer makes it a bit tight)

Is it obtrusive when fully lowered and could you keep a bike parked on it when not in use?

Sorry for all the questions fellas but I don't want to spend the folding on summit that'll be in the way and a pain to use / move around.

...any more???

Just thought I,d chip in. I have the sealey/clark one, big red with the large ram down the middle. Its ace. I bought it a few yars ago and it has been worth every penny. It has easily coped with my old busa mounted on front and rear paddock stands. It lives in the middle of the garage with a bike parked on it. Its not to high so pushig the bikes on is no problem. Gaet some ratchet straps and you have the added advantage of being able to raise the bike, strap one end to a roof beam and then lower the ramp a little to get one end in the air. Perfect for head bearing replacement or swing arm and suspension removal.

I would never sell it its used as much as any other tool in my garage.

Cheers Monty.

Is it the type that uses a normal workshop jack to lift? Are they pretty sturdy and safe?

No it has the ram like Zed described, I think this is about as small as you could go, and it still be usable really.

Like zed said, I wouldn't be without mine now either, but it is a luxury really, if yours is a single garage with all the other stuff its going to be tight.

Just to add, it is sturdy, it has feet that wind down and support it and at certain points in the lift you can lock it, but I don't always bother with that.

Monty,s right with a single garage it does take up a bit of room. It uses about a third of the width. I have three bikes which is why it lives in the middle with a bike on it most times. Really need to upgrade to a double garage! Still I suppose I would end up filling that with to many bikes as well.

Pay attention to the length and width of the platform. Some of the cheaper ones I've seen are a bit small when you measure them up.

Thanks fellas.

I checked out a few at the Stafford Show but they seemed to be 'old brit bike' or scooter sized... will have to bear this in mind. Going to the NEC on Friday 5th so I'll have a lookee there too.

Alex, I will try and find the link to the ebay seller where I got mine for you, it was £180 IIRC but that was by far the cheapest I had seen.

Have you checked machine mart?

One other thing you may like if room is an issue is this lift:

DSC00182.jpg

Its about £80 in machine mart IIRC. Needs to have the bike strapped also but it may suit better?

I've got a Machine Mart/Clarke lift, only got a single garage and loads of stuff in there same as others so I cut it into the floor so it's flush with the floor when it's dropped and doesn't get in the way. :unsure:

Well worth the money and even better value if you get it on a VAT free sales day, it's got a good 400kg loading, some of the cheaper ones are only round the 250kg mark, I'd rather have the extra strength for peace of mind.

bWlja2NicjExMDBAMjM0OTI0MTQyQDFAMjAwMzA4MTQxMTI0MDRAMTIyODMxNzk3NQ==.jpg

DSC00182.jpg

I'm really not too sure about these... not certain I'd trust it plus I'd still be scrabbling around on the floor picking up me spanners!

Bezzer, never thought of chopping out the floor. could be onto a winner there.

Thanks all :angry:

Archived