Chain & sprocket advice

Mr.Incredible

Hello.

My GSX-R1000 K6 is in desperate need of a new chain and, hence, sprockets.

I'm looking for a bog standard replacement of (what I'm assuming, after 17k miles, are) the OEM parts. Nothing gold, blue or non-standard sizes. Cheap as poss without compromise on quality (yes, I do know that you get what you pay for..to a certain extent before brand and marketing bollocks skews things too far).

What do people recommend? How much should I be paying for the set? I had DID stuff on my old K2 and it lasted really well, but I am sure is at the top end of the market.

The last time I bought a chain and sprockets it was for my old 750SS a couple of years ago and cost about £80.00, so I'm sure my internal pricing shock-o-meter may need re-calibration.

Thanks

I'd recommend B & C Express, I've deal with them a few times and always been impressed with the service. They even knew what an SZR660 was, you'd be surprised how many 'bike' places don't!

Give them a call and I'm sure they can advise a suitable set.

OK, thanks for the advice so far.

B&C have quoted £126.44 for bog standard steel chain & sprockets, and £149.10 for Renthal gold hard anodised stuff.

I am leaning towards the standard stuff, because a) if looked after I am sure it will last a good 15k miles and :icon_blackeye: anything gold is fucking disgusting.

Is this a good price, do we think?

another one for B&C express, good and knowledgable bunch. I used Renthal anodised on the old R1, lasted longer than the bike(including 5,500 miles(mainly commuting) and a track day over 11 months and 25 days. didn't quite make the 2nd track day :eusa_whistle:

Ally sproks are fine for trackbikes...stick to steel for the road (unless you LIKE replacing rear sprockets).

B & C told me that after a alloy sprocket has been hard anodised, it will wear approx 5% faster than a standard steel sprocket.

:eusa_whistle:

Archived