Recommend me a workshop heater

banoffee

Single garage, doesn't need to be mega heat - i.e. just to take the worst off the cold while I'm out there.

Thinking electric easier? However naturally don't want to run up huge bills!

I'd go for an oil filled radiator. Some other stuff would give more instant heat but would i think cost more to run.

Maybe you could a little calor gas heater or space heater but the gas bottles aren't cheap and it'd take up more room.

search for mother earth oil burner, download the plans and shrink to required size, i have an old calor gas bottle ive made into a waste oil burner and its the nuts, other than that what about a greenhouse heater, they run on parrafin but can be convinced to work just as well on kero (which is cheaper!)

Heaters with a flame seem to attract condensation and damp, which is not a good thing.

I use electric tube heaters, the wattage varies according to the length. I leaves a 30W one on all winter, it is cheap to run and keeps the rust at bay.

Number 6 is right about the curtain on a steel door, at work I put a plastic tarp over the roller shutter door, makes the place much warmer.

Don't use anything that burns a fuel because when they burn, they produce carbon dioxide and water vapour which will condense on cold metal. We use an electric halogen heater on a thermostat set quite low, just to keep the chill off the shed :icon_salut:

you can laugh at my atempt at a shed(ex cold store),but the 4 inch insulation is coming in to play now,even today it was just about worm,with no heating,so small oil rad and it will be all toasty and worm...

cheers. there's a cheap but barely used oil filled rad on ebay just down the road from here that's looking good. also looking into some insulation for the garage door, good point that. already sealed the spaces above and below it and got plastic sheeting under the roof.

just need a kettle in there too :icon_salut:

It's funny I was just pondering this very subject yesterday while feeling the chill in the shed. I like the sound of the 30W halogen doofers. I already have an oil rad but I never use it coz it takes ages to warm up and the heat isn't that great for the power it uses.

I think I might hang my dartboard up while I'm at it :icon_salut:

Any pics of this mate, be interested to see how you made it.

soon as i can i'll post a complete how to, its not hard as it goes i just followed the instructions from the mother earth one and altered it slightly where i had to.

Archived