Daytime mots

Romski

got a gsxr 600 troack bike, got the v5 and it is currently sorned, but i have decided to stick the bike on the road over winter, why not it is a hack after all.

what do i need to pass the mot.

it has no lights, mirrors or horn.

i thank you.

You need a horn and a rear reflector and obviously a number plate.

It's been discussed on here many times and there's differing opinions. The most important opinion though is the one of your MOT testing station.

You need a horn and a rear reflector and obviously a number plate.

It's been discussed on here many times and there's differing opinions. The most important opinion though is the one of your MOT testing station.

Almost correct. you don't need a rear reflector for a daytime MOT.

Almost correct. you don't need a rear reflector for a daytime MOT.

This. But... you do need an 'obligatory stop lamp' and a speedo to comply with Construction & Use regs. I have been done for not having the 'obligatory stop lamp' fitted by a traffic cop up here. I didn't know I needed one fitted, but ignorance is not a defense.

So, for the MOT you need a legal number plate and a horn, and for everything to be working correctly.

To be able to legally use the bike on the road, ie to comply with Con & Use regs, you need a legal number plate, a horn, a speedo (not GPS, it has to be road speed that's measured), a chain guard and the 'obligatory stop lamp'- all quoted from the nice policeman that advised me about the 'obligatory rear stop lamp' :eusa_think:

Do tell your insurance company about the changes or your insurance will be very null and void if you have an accident.

edit- and you don't even need a number plate if you're taking the bike for it's pre-first registration MOT :)

Told you there was differing opinions.

I'm sure Pork will be along at some point to correct us. If he can be bothered :pokeit:

Told you there was differing opinions.

There are different opinions but only one set of MOT rules and one set of Con & Use regs :icon_salut:

So, you can take a bike for an MOT with no lights fitted and get an MOT ticket, but as soon as you set off to ride home with your lovely, shiny new MOT certificate and ride on public roads, you're breaking the law because the bike does not comply with Con & Use regs. You could, I suppose, take a taillight to fit post-MOT but that's a bit of a kick in the face for the MOT person.

The MOT test has nothing to do with construction and use regs , all it means is that at the time of test the vehicle passed all of the requirements of the test .There is no such thing as a daytime MOT just an MOT ( or VOSA to be more accurate ) with a VT32 advisory stating that no lights were fitted at the time of test , easiest thing is to ask your local friendly test centre what their interpretation of the rules are and go with what they say . Regarding the number plate , there needs to be a way of identifying the vehicle , so , if there is no plate the VIN needs to be present

Archived