carbon fibre frames

fredie

ISTR the SB8 (or one of the variants) had carbon fibre frame spars that went to an alloy swingarm pivot.

Might have been an SB6

zzzzzzzzzz51stonercarbonframe.jpg

On the GP9 the main frame is formed to connect the engine to the steering head. The main frame now also incorporates the air-box in one single construction. This monocoque construction allows the air-box to function efficiently within the main frame.

Choosing to utilise the carbon fibre composite technology to create the frame means that, on the one hand, one can mould the piece into the desired form without incurring enormous equipment costs and, on the other hand, varying levels of rigidity and torsional characteristics can be attained simply by altering the type, the number and the directional orientation of the carbon fibres, using the same equipment.

In testing carried out up until now the GP9 guarantees greater precision and stability in breaking and on entering corners. We maintain, however, that only by using it to race on the various world circuits will we be able to properly evaluate the potential of this technical solution. Employing the said technical solution in competition at the maximum level is the only way to effectively assess it in all its aspects.

http://www.2wheeltimes.com/MotoGP_Ducati_GP9_Carbon.html

Did Ducati not bin the GP9 Carbon 'frame' mid season?

And Rompers...twas indeed the SB8...the actual spars were ally, the bottom bit was carbon.

G

Ahhh yes, that was it. I got it the wrong way round :eusa_wall:

Heron suzuki used a C/F frame back in the day

I know this because I work for the company that made them.There are still a few people there that remember it.

Pics:

CIBA-GEIGYCarbonChassis4.jpg

CIBA-GEIGYCarbonChassis3.jpg

CIBA-GEIGYCarbonChassis2.jpg

CIBA-GEIGYCarbonChassis.jpg

I also think there was something called 'Project 500'.Not 100% sure on the details but I think I have more pics at work.

Is there a point to this thread?

Phillistine.

Here's a rare picture of a carbon framed original model R1.

IMG_1419.jpg

The frame was sooo stiff and light, it could handle two engines at once. I had to turn the second engine around, the contra-rotation of the cranks cancelled out any gyroscopic effect. Which was nice.

I love the 'fake alloy' finish on the carbon fibre, with carbon frame protectors over the top for the double bluff mindfuck...

Very Stealth.

Aktewally it's like the Bimoto above, it's a carbon-alloy composite, innit.

Yamaha made me make it *look* like carbon frame protectors, they didn't want to have to homologate it for road use.

Or something,

'02/03 R1 (5PW model) had been looking to see if one can buy them, but without much luck

great . i have a raven o3 r1 . book me in aswell please :blush:

that ducati is . is a . :shock:

Heron suzuki used a C/F frame back in the day

I know this because I work for the company that made them.There are still a few people there that remember it.

Pics:

CIBA-GEIGYCarbonChassis.jpg

Is that the frame that was glued together?

Archived