Steering stem swap?

chrisexup

I need a steering stem pressing out and fitting to another set of yokes, or the current stem modifying.

Has anyone had this done, and can you recommend someone to do it?

I need a steering stem pressing out and fitting to another set of yokes, or the current stem modifying.

Has anyone had this done, and can you recommend someone to do it?

Yep :lol: What do you need doing?

i'm putting a TDR250 front end onto an Armstrong chassis. The Armstromg stem needs removing, and fitting to the TDR yokes. I haven't measured the lengths yet, the stem may need shortening, or a spacer making etc. etc.

If the TDR stem is long enough, an option would be to machine the lower portion of that stem down to 25mm.

The A stem is 25mm straight down (i think - top and bottom bearings are 25mm id).

The TDR stem is shorter, and 25mm for most of it's length but flares out at the bottom to take a 30mm id bearing.

I guess the best thing is to send you both sets of yokes to have a look at......?

i'm putting a TDR250 front end onto an Armstrong chassis. The Armstromg stem needs removing, and fitting to the TDR yokes. I haven't measured the lengths yet, the stem may need shortening, or a spacer making etc. etc.

If the TDR stem is long enough, an option would be to machine the lower portion of that stem down to 25mm.

The A stem is 25mm straight down (i think - top and bottom bearings are 25mm id).

The TDR stem is shorter, and 25mm for most of it's length but flares out at the bottom to take a 30mm id bearing.

I guess the best thing is to send you both sets of yokes to have a look at......?

Or take a few pics of the yokes and send them (with measurements) which would be free :eusa_think: I don't think the TDR stem will be thick enough to stand being turned down to 25mm at the bottom though. Have you searched for alternative bearings yet?

yes, the od of the Armstrong bottom race is too narrow to accomodate a taper roller bearing with 30mm id.

'Simply bearings' has an excellent search function and that came up with no matches. i haven't removed the Armstrong yokes yet, but it looks like the TDR stem will be too short anyway.

i'll send some pics over b4 weekend, cheers Kayla.

What size are the TDR forks, 38mm? A pair of FZR400 3EN1 yokes might fit- the stem on those is quite long and the top yoke is flat so could be drilled for risers :rock: They're pretty cheap on ebay too.

The TDR stem is 20cm long, the Armstrong stem is close on 22cm, although the Armstrong top yoke is thicker than the TDR one.

How long is the 400 stem? Although i think the FZR uses the same 30x55x17 lower bearing the TDR uses, so would still need some work. The Armstrong uses 2 x (25x47x15) taper roller bearings. The largest bore races i could find that had 47mm outer were 26mm id, although i did find these i imagine they too would need some machining work to the stem or a spacer in the steering head.

One thing I've always found curious, people press various stems into various different yokes, does this mean there's some sort of universal standard for the diameter of the stem where it mates to the yoke?

Just seems a little odd that everything else on bikes comes in a multitude of various sizes.

you can get 30mm id taper rollers with a 47mm od. i've just bought one as i'm fitting gsxr600 forks and yokes to a gsxr400, i'm having to turn up a new stem for that though

you can get 30mm id taper rollers with a 47mm od.

Come on you tease.... where from, how much, what thickness? :icon_salut:

Kayla, i've got to go and buy a 28mm socket before i can strip the Armstrong yokes........ hopefully i'll get one today and will post some pics/dimensions.

Kayla, i've got to go and buy a 28mm socket before i can strip the Armstrong yokes........ hopefully i'll get one today and will post some pics/dimensions.

Ok, no probs :icon_salut:

The MT500 stem is about 216mm long, measured from the top of the bottom yoke

yokes001.jpg

the TDR250 stem is about 202mm long, measured from the top of the bottom yoke

yokes005.jpg

yokes006.jpg

The MT500 stem is about 28mm od in the bottom yoke

yokes002.jpg

The TDR250 stem has a ring of weldround it in the bottom yoke, so can't measure the od. The centre of the bead of weld is about 30mm across

yokes008.jpg

The MT stem is 14mm longer, but the MT top yoke is about 10mm thicker. The TDR top yoke would need opening up a fraction of a mm, as the tip of the MT stem has a tadge bigger od.

yokes012.jpg

It looks like the bearing ricey mentioned would work, but i have been unable to track one down in bearing stockists online.

Google turned up a thread in advrider

The bearing mentioned would only need a 3mm thick spacer to work.

Anyone know where i can get a 32906? i can only see them listed for sale in bulk, from China :shock: Ricey, where did you get yours from?

i'll pm you the email address of someone in the states, he has them made, they are $50 which includes the shipping, you'll have it within a week, 15mm thick too.

just tell him your after one and he send you paypal details

Brilliant, thanks for that Ricey

Kayla, i may not need any stems pressing out of any yokes after all :eusa_think:

Brill! It's always better to be able to use stuff without changing it :D

• 2 weeks later...
Kayla, the bearing has arrived but it's only 12mm thick, can you make me a spacer 46.9x40.9x3mm?

Yep :)

Wow! Thanks Kayla, the (revised) spacer turned up this morning. That was a lightning fast turnaround - how did you get the Royal Mail to co-operate? B)

Now that i have the bearing and spacer i will get cracking fitting the ........ um, i mean...... the bike will er... remain buried in the snow for months and it will be spring before i even look at it again :eusa_whistle:

No probs- glad I could help out :)

To be honest, I'm surprised it even got to you unopened, sending valuable-feeling letters this time of year is asking for trouble :lol:

Archived