Disc bolt traumers.

exuprob

Little things come flooding back to you......or me.

When I bought my 4xv R1, I did wonder why the previous owner handed me some new front disc bolts and said ' I just havent got round to fitting them yet'.

Fast forward to now and I bloody know why! He's had a go with a chocolate allen key and mangled a few of the bolts but now I need to get them off as the wheels are off to be powder coated and the disc's are Galfers so my question is.......

How do I get the remains out of the wheel without destroying a set of expensive discs???????

Little things come flooding back to you......or me.

When I bought my 4xv R1, I did wonder why the previous owner handed me some new front disc bolts and said ' I just havent got round to fitting them yet'.

Fast forward to now and I bloody know why! He's had a go with a chocolate allen key and mangled a few of the bolts but now I need to get them off as the wheels are off to be powder coated and the disc's are Galfers so my question is.......

How do I get the remains out of the wheel without destroying a set of expensive discs???????

A slightly larger torx bit can often be encouraged to help with the aid of a hammer, or ISTR on the header bolts of a bandit exhaust I had to replace, an imperial allen key was persuaded to fit with only slight use of the aforementioned hammer.

If that doesn't work, you can weld a bit of steel on to the bolt head and use that to turn the bolt out. I've had pretty good results with the oversize Torx bit fix on Yamaha's cheese-o-matic disc bolts. Except for the 3TJ wheel that had the disc bolts red loctited in :eusa_whistle: I would love to get my hands on the idiot that did that.

HEAT!

A wel fitting allen socket (or torx smacked into the buggerd one) and some to hold the wheel down and they will all fold.

But seriously, use plenty of heat.

The alloy of the wheel sets out faster than the allooy bolts and therefore losens them. Also the blue loctite isn't very good with very high temps.

Also the blue loctite isn't very good with very high temps.

It would be more accurate to say that most thread locking compounds are designed to break down when heated so that you can actually get them apart.

But otherwise, the advice is spot on.

mate of mine has left handed drill bits, from what i can gather the bit drills into the bolt and because its turning backwards it eventually grips and spins out the buggered bolt, not sure where he got it from but its the bollocks, much better than an easy out which when ever i see them used they snap.

iv use a set of the top box and yes they are bloody brilient,was swinging of the larg one with a set of 30inch ajustables and it never gave in,and eventual got the bolt out 10 out of 10.

This vid shows the bloke removing the brake discs having the wheel braced against the wall - could help get your bolts out once you've sorted the cheesey bolt heads...

This vid shows the bloke removing the brake discs having the wheel braced against the wall - could help get your bolts out once you've sorted the cheesey bolt heads...

Same way I do it...

A lot of mates have told tales of shearing off disc bolts, but I've never had any problems with them.I'm sure most problems are caused by people using cheapo hex keys and not getting them fully into the head of the fastener.

Meant to say, if I'm using heat so close to the disc's is there not a chance of warping them?????

I have been known to be a little cack handed with such things in the past........I may get a responsible adult to supervise.

Meant to say, if I'm using heat so close to the disc's is there not a chance of warping them?????

No, you'll be fine ;) Heat the bolt head a little first, which will loosen the Loctite, then waft a bit of heat on the hub. Most of the heat will dissapate into the wheel rather than into the disc.

If you're anywhere near Peterlee you're welcome to pop round if you get stuck ;)

Ok, finally got round to whipping the wheels out and tackling the bolts and...........they all came out, good as gold.

Used the 'smack a larger torx bit with a hammer' into the mullurd allen bolts and they all came out. Job jobbed.

I do need some new disc bolts now, anyone know who does some nice shiny new (stainless?) bolts, other than Yamaha????

I do need some new disc bolts now, anyone know who does some nice shiny new (stainless?) bolts, other than Yamaha????

I tend to use ProBolt for that kind of thing, sold in Kits and reasonably easy to get exactly what you want of the web-shite

Will even have Ti ones if you are feeling flush

Archived