carb balancing help needed

jaycee

My bike isn't running right, I've been advised to check the carb balance first before mucking about cleaning jets and the like. I've got a PDF file of a the next model Blade ( but still the 900 engine). The diagram is not very clear, but is the screw arrowed the point to connect the vacuum gauges?

95RR-SCarburettors5-1.jpg

To answer your question, rather than rant about a bike you no longer own, yes, if that's the bit on the inlet side of the head. What you're trying to do is measure the vacuum between the carbs and the engine, so if that bit's just a take-off betweent he two (your photo's not the best to get an idea where it is in relation to everything else) then that's your bit.

I've balanced the carbs on a '94 and a '96, and I'd say, despite the angle, that this is one of the points to screw in the vacuum gauges.

However, on the '94 the no. 1 cylinder didn't have a screw to block it, but a tiny rubber bung with a metal strap around it. It was shit and eventually fell out and got lost. Which, obviously fucked up the throttle response. Check that they are all there for starters and then check they are in nice and tight with little washers under them.

Next thing to have a little looky at is your headers. Any slight cracks around the manifold will make a massive difference to balance and power.

As far as balancing goes, balance them in pairs i.e. 1 & 2, then 3 & 4, and then use the centre screw to balance the first pair with the second.

Archived