16,5 inch wheels What tyres????

backys

I've a feeling he meant same make/model of tyre, rather than the same size ....

sorry for my bad english.

What I want to say is that I can't find 16,5 inch tyres on any company's catalog.Slicks or road tyres.

So what do they use????

Thanks again

You'll be wanting race tyres (slick, inters or rain) which, natch, aren't best suited for the roads, but may, or may not, be useful on track.

No idea where to get them, but if you're looking at tyre company sites, you'll be wanting to look at their 'race' sections......

Try some of the bigger dealers in just tyres( are those eGay ones called round and black or black and round?) and/or attend a race meeting or two (not that there's too many on right now) and ask the tyre sellers there...

Dave

Hi mate,

16.5 's may or may not be what you expect,

They do offer more side grip, but at a price,

1. They require absolutly perfect suspension, Yo'll need and Ohlins tech 3 times just to ride to work

2. The tyres are all big side walled and chunky, the overall diametre is much the same or bigger than 17's

3. This (2) causes more wiggly type movement which manifests it'self as lack of straight line stability and if (1.) is not perfect, this effect only worsens.

BUT having said all this, I have a feeling that the Desmosidici RR specific tyres have been developed for the bike with the above points in mind, and they are road homologated, so there may be an option, but they ain't gonna be cheap. Would be trick tho!

On a final note, one of my mates has tried them on his Suzuki 1000 racer and I'm sure he found he rode better on 17's

Cheer

Mark

I have 16.5's for the RC45. I personaly use the Pirelli slicks. I used Dunlop but found the Pirelli an overall better tyre for me.

I also got myself a tyre tread cutter and set about doing my own with fairly good sucess.

If you already have the wheels you might as well give them a go.

I have 16.5's for the RC45. I personaly use the Pirelli slicks. I used Dunlop but found the Pirelli an overall better tyre for me.

I also got myself a tyre tread cutter and set about doing my own with fairly good sucess.

If you already have the wheels you might as well give them a go.

Hi Steve,

did you find any stability issues

cheers

Mark

Not really.

To start with I was running 195/75/R420 dunlops and it was alittle "loose". I changed that to a 195/65/R420 and never had any trouble with that at all. I was always running a 120/75 front.

I changed to Pirelli and found them just as stable in the same sizes but a little slower on turn in, which, if I'm honest I liked. I've stuck with them since. I'm told though the bridgestones are almost as good but last much longer.

BUT having said all this, I have a feeling that the Desmosidici RR specific tyres have been developed for the bike with the above points in mind, and they are road homologated, so there may be an option, but they ain't gonna be cheap. Would be trick tho!

On a final note, one of my mates has tried them on his Suzuki 1000 racer and I'm sure he found he rode better on 17's

Cheer

Mark

Desmosedici RR doesnt Run 16.5 front is 17 and rear 16 (Only Bridgestone makes a 16 195 rear but very few people use this bike on the track anyway :)

190/55 ZR17 tyres were designed to mimic a 16.5 anyway.

I'm struggling to see the point in bothering as you'll probably end up paying more for tyres than you'll save on the wheels.

I have a 16.5 inch Dymag which I'm planning on running at the North West 200 this year - there were serious problems with tread patterns "Chunking" on most of the production based tyres.

Here's my own rear wheel after two practice sessions - you can see the chunks coming out of the tread pattern in the centre of the tyre. Some of the racers tyres were horrendous looking...

pirellichunkmv5.jpg

This didn't seem to be happening with any of the slicks, so hopefully it'll be reet next year :)

-John

Word of caution. If you start running Dunlops to be found at race meetings you'll have to know a bit about what the componds are like. There are a myrid of different compounds and generations of slicks, with the NTECs you'll have to be hard on the gas from the second they come out of the warmers to even start getting them to work, potentially lethal otherwise. :lol: Remember if racers using them haven't burnt them up there's probably a reason why!!!!

Inters & Wets are easier to understand and easy to get along with.

If you end up with some Dunlop slicks I should, at least be able to find out what they are/ recommend what to do with them.

PM me.

The hard bit will be getting a package that works.

Word of caution. If you start running Dunlops to be found at race meetings you'll have to know a bit about what the componds are like. There are a myrid of different compounds and generations of slicks, with the NTECs you'll have to be hard on the gas from the second they come out of the warmers to even start getting them to work, potentially lethal otherwise. <_< Remember if racers using them haven't burnt them up there's probably a reason why!!!!

Inters & Wets are easier to understand and easy to get along with.

If you end up with some Dunlop slicks I should, at least be able to find out what they are/ recommend what to do with them.

PM me.

The hard bit will be getting a package that works.

Cheers - a few people have had major issues with Dunlops when trying to run them without warmers over here at the National races.

They seem to work fine for Ryan Farquar and Keith Amor et. al with tyre warmers and generators, as you said, but the lads trying to get them working by just running from a cold start and then one warm-up lap were struggling... it led to a bit of a "Dunlops are shit" vibe in the Support classes, but the truth is, as you say, they are designed to be used straight from a warmer and anything else won't work.

I have a few Pirelli SC2 slicks for use; they seem to be the best compromise for the National races according to those in the know, and work (relatively) well from cold too

-John

The v. low pressures that N-TEC and later generation tyres run at catch out the uninitiated as well. You are not gonna be banging in 28psi and away you go, again I'd have to dig for info dependent on 3***, 6*** , 7*** series tyres, Phase One Age who posts on here would know off the top of his head, but carcass numbers can throw that out as well. Fronts are a lot more predictable at the moment, unless anyone has found a 6*** series front yet!

Archived