Is my bike an import?

jaycee

For thoise of you that don't know, I recently acquired a 1995 RR-S FireBlade. I noticed today that the VIN plate and the plate with the tested dB is in French. Does this mean my bike is a neutered import?

I remarked to a mate, who has an RRT, when I bought the bike, that my old GSXR 750 SRAD would have annihilated it with performance.

Today I struggled to keep up with a (admittedly very well-ridden) Yamaha Fazer 600. I am not the fastest rider, but the horsepower of my old 750 more than made up for that, I just seem to so slow on the 'Blade.

Probably best to speak to your local Honda dealer?

Its a bummer if it is mind, but how much more than 100bhp do blades of that vintage make? You may not be missing out on that many BHP IYSWIM.

Andy

Sounds like you may have discovered the reason for its 'sluggishness'...

French market bikes are required to have a *claimed* 106bhp at the crank. That means you'll be lucky to have 95 at the wheel.

And rumour has it that Hondas are the hardest to de-restrict - it'll probably be a lot simpler with a carbed model like yours than a more recent one, though...

And rumour has it that Hondas are the hardest to de-restrict - it'll probably be a lot simpler with a carbed model like yours than a more recent one, though...

Who was it who said that French bikes are actually engineered to produce 106BHP (was it Millemille?)

I.E its restricted with the cams, carbs and everything?

Or have I just made that up?

Andy

Who was it who said that French bikes are actually engineered to produce 106BHP (was it Millemille?)

I.E its restricted with the cams, carbs and everything?

Or have I just made that up?

Andy

It was probably me and I read it in MCN and, stupidly, believed it....

They're meant to be, but it seems most manufacturers just fib and the French authorities take their word for it that its all comprehensively engineered in as they give the parts different numbers ot the full power bits but they're all the sodding same.....

Except for Hondas, allegedly.

Well had confirmation from Honda UK that the bike is UK spec. So its just me that's shit then, carry on as you were :lol:

Might be worth getting someone to look the bike over and give it some dyno time?

Before admitting what a big woos you really are. :blink:

Mitch

Bimota did it to the SB6, I think.

But back in the day ...

Kwaks used different carb tops to limit the throttle opening - change the tops

Suzuki had metal restriction rings in the top of the downpipes - break the tack weld

Yamaha used a web in the carb rubbers - cut the web out, the cleaner the cut the better the derestriction.

Not sure about honda

A lot of the pressant French machines are done in the CDI this can be undone with a switch under the seat or so I've heard

A lot of the pressant French machines are done in the CDI this can be undone with a switch under the seat or so I've heard

This is what I was referring to - my insurance guy here said he had his 1198 derestricted in under 5 minutes before he even rode it out of the dealer.

I get the feeling that, maybe, all the manufacturers did do it, then realised they could just use new parts numbers and just do it with a few electronics tricks on FI bikes 'cos no-one really checks them properly.

I have been told that Suzukis and Kawasakis are the same, don't know about Yamahas but modern Hondas are a bastard to do as they stick to the 'uneconomic to de-restrict' rule. Allegedly.

Its still confiscation of the machine, up to 2 years in jail and up to E30 000 fine for having a full power bike on French plates though.......... ;)

Archived