Blue spot calipers - no pad spring?

Majik

After scaring the beejesus out of myself with the six pots on the new (to me) YZF750, I've reached into my parts bin and dragged out some old blue spot Yammy calipers I was going to fit to the FZR100 front end I had for my FZX. I've stripped them all out and cleaned the pistons, soaked the seals in new brake fluid and ordered pads (EBC HH - £15 a pair from Busters on eGay). I've even found the pad pins now (although they're not in the best condition). Reassembly tomorrow...

So I'm hunting around for the brake pad springs, but Yamaha want 23 quid each. Sod off.

In my research, I stumble across this site which suggest that you don't need the brake pad springs at all, and actually, it helps with cooling to remove them. Far be it for me to take advice from Yanks, what is the opinion here? Am I setting myself up for a fall by being stingy? Is the chance of getting crap in the top of the calipers and onto the disc/pads greatly increased?

Also, with the springs out, they sugest lockwiring the pad pins. I've never lockwired anything in my life, and haven't a clue how I would lockwire the pins so they don't travel - can someone get me a pic or description of how to do it?

Cheers!

Majik

or a file and a drill and some r-clips or split pins, basically what i would do is assemble the pins into the caliper then mark where i need to put the pins so they dont fall out then remove them, once they're out you can then file a couple of flat spots on them and drill to get the pins through. that way they wont fall out and they are easily removed when it comes to pad changes, and if you use r-clips they can be reused shit loads of times.

Ah! Sorry - should have explained better. The pin has got r-clips on the inside edge of the caliper to stop it falling out, but I don't trust them completely without the pad spring, so thought I'd lockwire through the r-clip holes.

have they fallen out before? i wouldnt be worried about that when ford seem to find it pefectly acceptable to hold the rear hub on a fusion with only a circlip! if its that much of a worry i would use split pins, they won't fall out and are cheap and can be removed/reused at the road side.

I ran my race bike last year(K3 1000 with std calipers)without the springs in.

The only difference it made was when changing wheels in a hurry the pads were an arse to keep apart when sliding the caliper over the disc.

I've always binned the pad springs!

They get in the way. Looking round Oulton today no one else uses them. The issue with pads getting in the way when changing a wheel is cured with a metal plate inserted as the wheel is removed.

The concern over the 'r' clip holding the pin.... dont worry about it. I've ran supermotos doing jumps etc with only an 'r' clip holding the pin. Never had a problem and i doubt you would on the road. I'd bet someone on ebay is selling stainless pins on ebay for very little.

The 'pad spring' is just an anti-rattle spring or shim so you might find your pads will rattle about in the calipers a bit. It does help a little with airflow and running without them allows the pad a bit of float.

I didn't use them in the Nissins on my 'Blade and never had a problem... apart from a bit of rattle, obviously.

Archived