A kinda Ticky Clicky Noise

Evilchicken0

OOOOOhhh crap.

Today I took the Bimota out for an End of the Running In Period ride / blast. I went down to Ashford and then on to the A28 with a view to wander to Brighton find some chips (possibly in Worthing). But then the fuel light was on (well it's either on or off) and then there a "funny noise" I pulled into the garage and it was a kind of ticky cliky noise that rises a bit with revs. I rode it home a bit carefully.

The down pipes are all hot.

The bike runs, idles, and revs as it should.

No decernable loss in power.

The bike doesn't run hot.

The exhaust seems to be gas tight.

When I started the bike from cold it didn't happen for a couple of seconds, then it started quitely and got a bit louder

Low res vid below

th_TickyNoise.jpg

So having though about it ... Is the engine Pinking ???

OOOOOhhh crap.

Today I took the Bimota out for an End of the Running In Period ride / blast. I went down to Ashford and then on to the A28 with a view to wander to Brighton find some chips (possibly in Worthing). But then the fuel light was on (well it's either on or off) and then there a "funny noise" I pulled into the garage and it was a kind of ticky cliky noise that rises a bit with revs. I rode it home a bit carefully.

The down pipes are all hot.

The bike runs, idles, and revs as it should.

No decernable loss in power.

The bike doesn't run hot.

The exhaust seems to be gas tight.

When I started the bike from cold it didn't happen for a couple of seconds, then it started quitely and got a bit louder

Low res vid below

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/evi...=TickyNoise.mp4

So having though about it ... Is the engine Pinking ???

No way is that pinking mate. I`d be a bit worried to be honest. Sounds to me like something on the valve train or maybe timing chaintensioner?

It does sound like something in the topend.

A dropped valve would have killed the engine, it could be an open tappet I suppose. I can understand if it was a noise that's always been there but it just started and it's a quiet engine.

I did put it on Oldskool Suzuki ... the cam tensioner is the standard automatic type, there's not enough room for the Ape one to go in.

It sounds the same clutch it, clutch out. The engine was rebuilt about 500miles ago hence the End of the Running In Period ride / blast.

I got in touch with Race Engineering, Simon pointed out

It sounds 1/2 engine speed so I would say cam,follower,valve would be first place to check
Which makes a bit more sense. He also suggests to use a screw driver to listen on the cases and find whereabouts the problem is.

well ... if it was badly fucked it would have dropped onto 3 riding home (I'm saying that with fingers crossed). Removing the cam cover is an engine drop or at least tilting forward on the back mounts

Whatever it is, its an engine drop isnt it...so I guess you better just do it?

Maybe now its been rebuilt and everything has had a chance to settle in / bed in, its just loosened up a little bit

Yup .... engine out again I spose. :)

Is it lock nut and adjuster for the valves or buckets and shims?

It's not unheard of for a locknut to work loose and the adjuster to back off after it has been recently worked on, and when that happens it make a hell of a noise from the top end!

Good point mike, I would have thought they were locknut and screw just like most other oil cooled motors.

Must admit, when I rebuilt the KTM engine after fitting the 540 kit I forgot to nip up one of the locknuts (partly due to a "mate" stitching me up by throwing in an extra bolt into one of my strip down trays so when I put the top end back together I had a left over bolt, apparently, and was on the verge of stripping the whole thing down again before said "mate" fessed up) and it sounded like it was about to self destruct when I fired it up for the first time....

Did you introduce your mates hole to the tip of your right boot?

Wanker..

I remember as a trainee, I had to set the valve clearances on an old Volvo 340 1400cc. All done, whacked the rocker cover on and bollocked it down nice and tight. Leaned in and started it up. The noise made me back off panicking.......I didn`t dare go close enough to turn it off. One of the other lads came running over and knocked it off.

I was shitting me pants, thinking I`d wrecked this blokes engine, it sounded fucking awful.

Turns out I`d tightened the tin rocker cover down that much that it had deformed and was touching all 8 rockers..........

That would kinda explain the noise... :thumbsup:

I just looked at the vid, and without reading any of the other comments my immediate thoughts were valve - it sounds half engine speed so maybe one of the clearances has grown, or a locknut come undone or something.

You say the motor has been rebuilt, there's your answer, absolutely most likely forgotten to tighten something up properly. You could whip the carbs and pipes off and shove a torch up the port. if you are lucky you might be able to see the valves moving (when you wind the motor round with a socket), and if one lags it's partner then you've cracked it.

I just looked at the vid, and without reading any of the other comments my immediate thoughts were valve - it sounds half engine speed so maybe one of the clearances has grown, or a locknut come undone or something.

You say the motor has been rebuilt, there's your answer, absolutely most likely forgotten to tighten something up properly. You could whip the carbs and pipes off and shove a torch up the port. if you are lucky you might be able to see the valves moving (when you wind the motor round with a socket), and if one lags it's partner then you've cracked it.

It's the GSX-R 1100 W engine, watercooled with shims and buckets. Good tip about seeing the valves, I know I can see the intakes, probably the exhausts although I don't remember looking for them.

Arn't the 1100wp engines known for knackering one of the bushes on the alternator, which sounds like the engine trying to eat it's self.

Arn't the 1100wp engines known for knackering one of the bushes on the alternator, which sounds like the engine trying to eat it's self.

Yes ... but then the alternator fails and the engine stops

How about ... broken or weakened valve spring ???

The engine would still work cos they have 2 springs / cylinder but the valve would bounce off the cam profile making a ticky tappy niose.

So it's a head off (probably) job

More likely that the valve would bounce off the piston crown rather than the cam lobe.

Did you have new valve seats fitted when the engine was done?

Yes ... they were reground ... that sound right ?

If a valve seat got loosened when being machined in situ in the head or wasn't fitted properly if they were replaced then the valve clearances would have been set to the correct clearance before the engine was run but if the valve seat has moved then the clearance would have gone to pot.

Didn't you get some lairy new cams fitted as part of the engine work? Suzuki valve buckets are notoriously fragile and don't like particularly abrupt opening/closing cam profiles and can disintegrate. Normal practise is to either get them cryogenic-ally hardened and tuff coated or fit race kit ones.......

Hmmm .... not certain on the valve seats then ... I know he measured the valve guides becuase he thought they were to wide, then he read from the right table in the manual and it was ok.

Yes I had Kent Cams in there. I guess a cam follower (sounds like something on Twitter) is slightly more prefferable to a valve spring because I don't have to take the head off.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Archived