wanted: radiator measurements

lorenzo

As the project Bros has its stock radiator on it, which is notoriously poor at cooling whenever the engine is put under a bit of stress, we're after a bigger, thicker, meatier radiator. To be honest, if it's off a newer sports bike, especially something that revs up a bit, then it'll be better at cooling than the current one. On the Hawk GT forum there's a few people who're using GSXR and ZX7R rads, but I'm after finding out what the exact sizes of them are. Ideally, we'd have something not much wider than stock, but perhaps deeper and thicker. Fan fitments and the method of attachment isn't of the utmost importance, we can work around that lot. So, what we need to know, how wide is your radiator, how tall, how thick and what are the diameters of the pipes going in and out of it? Literally, any make and model of bike, we just need info so we can make an informed decision on ebay.

good work, late 90's/early 00's gixer rads are amoung the cheapest out there, they were top of my list!

Come on people, get your rulers out and get measuring. If you don't this bros is going to boil over an scald somebody at any oportunity, and it could be you who gets a nasty burn or something. Or a kitten. Do it for the kittens, please, think of the kittens...

good work, late 90's/early 00's gixer rads are amoung the cheapest out there, they were top of my list!

Come on people, get your rulers out and get measuring. If you don't this bros is going to boil over an scald somebody at any oportunity, and it could be you who gets a nasty burn or something. Or a kitten. Do it for the kittens, please, think of the kittens...

'97 Blade measurements any use to ye?

fuck, sorry Lawrence, tommorow mate.

I,ll write on me hand.

ps, shouldnt need all that extra fan weight mate, their just for when a road bike is stationary, race bikes dont have them.

right, sizes are approx as I had limited space in me shed mate, its 16" long but curved so maybe 17-18 if flat..., its 1 " thick, height 10", mounted at bottom centre & top twice about a third in either side. Both hoses come out near bottom either side of rad & are approx 1" wide. A third small hose goes back to engine dont know what its for really, dont think its overflow.

Hey Lorenzo

Honda CBR 600 FW steelie 1998 (I expect they are all pretty similar). This one has been a bit mangled so the measurements are approximate.

440mm wide, 240mm high, I put it on a flat surface to measure the curve, its about 60mm from base to the inside at the highest point. The inlet and outlet are 25mm diameter and located top right and bottom left as you sit on the bike. The fan assembly is about 55mm deep, located on the right hand side. On the bottom there are two mounting lugs 192mm apart.

Good stuff. Don't worry about fans and things, it's so road bike...

remove the thermostat if you haven't already,this will allow more water flow but takes a bit longer to get it up to temp,

We didn't really have a great deal of choice: the thermostat was a solid lump of limescale...

We didn't really have a great deal of choice: the thermostat was a solid lump of limescale...

ye,i saw the pics last night,didn,t realise you'd junked the stat-i've got some bits to plump up the kitty if you want them.

Archived