BUYING AN AIR COMPRESSOR

Kawasakifreak

i would have thought so as it sounds like a larger compressor, its the cfm ratings you need to look at though. Check the cfm rating of the paint gun then match it to the compressor.

It's more the CFM that matters. The thing with painting bike parts is they are small, so you should be able to get away with a smaller compressor -although it will be easier with larger, proper stuff.

I've only got a 25 litre one, but a CFM of 7.something, and I'm planning on using it for bike bits. Some bloke with the same one on the tinternet claimed to have done a car with it, which must have taken days, but it's possible.

Check out what the requirements of the gun you are planning to use -if you haven't bought one yet, don't discount the DeVilbiss -there is a range available under £80, which I'd get if I was buying again.

when i do bike bits i use my touchup gun, its a top loader got it from the place i use for paint and it cost £20, proper dual action jobbie does make doing panels easier as its physically smaller than a normal top loader and it uses less air, if your spraying do your self a flavour and get a regulator most compressors are designed for around 100psi operating pressure which will make your gun shit its seals out, check the recommended pressure for your gun, and you need high velocity low pressure one. oh and cover everything in your workshop/shed/whatever with plastic cos it will hide dust and i ga-ren-tee the one bit you dot cover will share with your painted surfaces. also get a larger diameter hose as it will hold more air so if your using air tools they will work better because they can physically get more air faster.

Although I'm a fair novice in the world of compressors, and I'd agree with all the above, I'd also try and get something with a bigger tank, unless it's a real bargain. I've got a 45l tank and it's a bit of a pain having the compressor starting up every couple of minutes if I'm doing something that's going to last for about 5-10 minutes. Don't buy a compressor just because you want to do some painting, buy one because air-tools are fucking awesome and you can do everything with them. If you're painting, a lovely little sander would be nice, for example, and will get your panels smooth in a quarter of the time it'd take by hand. 10 minutes sanding on a 25l tank will have you mostly deaf and with angry neighbours. So, in short, buy the biggest most powerful compressor you can afford, you'll only want a bigger one later.

Is it possible to feed a bigger, external tank to use as an air reservoir from a smaller compressor?

Don't see why not, but I don't think I've ever seen one, apart from on the back of a scuba diver.

Yup, patio heater sized gas bottles are ideal for this, just make sure they're empty and vented before cutting holes and welding fittings on .......... :thumbsup:

what you might be able to do is buy a knackered 150ltr compressor and use the small one to feed the big one but as said theres no point trying to use an airbrush compressor to do it.

And try and hear it running first. I bought my first one from machinemart going on CFM reading only without hearing it run.

Fuck me it was deafening. I had to put it outside and box it in and it was still a piece of shit, think of it like a race 125 stinkwheel at 9000rpm all the time your working

Have a one now with motors similar to a fridge's and its shhhhhhhhhuper quiet

If you're really cunning you can buy an ex-dentists one (really!): They're designed to be run in cupboards etc and are super quiet. However, because of this I've seen them go for a good few quid more on ebay than it's equivalent normal workshop compressor.

Thanks folks - just ordered a 50L ABAC compressor for £260 with hose & adaptors = 10.6 cfm.

It's a blue Monte Carlo D4 model - all parts are designed & built in Italy - for the money it's the best & the motor's robust & oil lubed.

FYI - ABAC also do a cheaper 'red-line' range with parts made in China which ABAC sell to numerous other compressor manufacturers.

Archived