R1 scaring the local population with hooooge backfire

peter30

My old bus (99 R1)is not feeling well and has taken to the odd big backfire when you roll off and then back on the power and a bit of fluffiness/miss on part throttle. I'm fed up of using big handfulls of throttle and generally abusing speed limits to clear its throat again and the miss doesn't help in mid corner either, so any help is appreciated. All electric plugs and conectors have been cleaned up, no sign of corrosion on them. Plugs swap and carbs clean up are my next options,unless the wise sages on here have some other ideas to help. Last service was 3,000 miles ago and I've used the bike most days, all weather conditions, mainly for the commute to work.

is it stock or modified? specifically can/filter and been rejetted or not?

standard bar end can, didn't need a rejet when last on a dyno.

Air leak on the exhaust? Either that or a clean out of the carbs and check the floats.

Id go with airleak too, rubbers on the carbs may have hardened with age and started to perish

a mechanic once showed me the airleak detection method- run the bike and while running, spray carb cleaner at any suspect spots-carb to intake rubbers, etc and you will hear the engine pick up if the cleaner is sucked in.

Archived