R1 weird brake feel.

exuprob

Got a 4XV R1 which has a strange front brake feel problem.

Bike is pretty much standard except for Galfer discs and Goodridge hoses, pads are unknown (maybe Galfer too?) but have plenty of life left in them and I bled them prior to a Mallory track day at the end of June this year.

Problem is that the feel at the lever is really inconsistent, when the brakes are cold, the lever is pretty much solid with no real bite or feel although they work ok. Once used a few times the lever becomes less solid and bite improves a bit but nothing spectacular unless you get loads of heat into them at which point you get more travel and a fair improvement in braking power for less squeeze of the lever but let them cool down and its back to solid again.

Calipers are standard R1 Blue Spots, pistons are nice and free (can be pushed back in by hand with little effort) and pads dont seem to be glazed and the fluid is clear.

Any ideas or are they all like that sir???? :)

Maybe someone has fitted some track/race specific pads which need a bit of temperature to work correctly.

How about trying some decent road pads and seeing if it sorts it?

They sound like race pads to me. DP (dunlopad) sport is what I'm currently raving about, although others will mention bendix and brembo, I'm sure.

Thought I'd have a quick look at this before buying new pads (nothing to do with being a tightwad then!) and the offside caliper was stuck on. Stripped the pads out and sure enough, two pistons were stuck so stripped it down and cleaned everything, rebuilt it and so far.......all is well.

Other than the span adjuster having to be put on 5 and the lever is still pretty solid...........I'll take it for a blast and see.

Thanks for the advice.

Archived