Stock GSXR Slipper Clutch Adjustment......

V2Sam

I'm running a stock 06 GSXR600 Clutch Basket and Hub mated to a TL1000 primary gear so I can have a slipper clutch on my TL.

With stock springs and adjusted as per the manual it's great, but the stock springs can't cope with the torque of the V-Twin and it slips under load.

20% Barnett Springs cures that problem but the slipper doesn't work aswell now, the revs are too high and too much engine braking.

I've tried turning in the lifter pins, removing one of the diaphragm springs from the back of the hub and no real difference.

I've tried to read through the gixxer forums but to be honest don't have much patience for the attitude of most members and didn't find anything that I didn't already know.

So can somebody tell me what is different between adjusting the lifter pins in or adjusting the spring pressure/qty of the diaphragm washers ?

Sam

you may want to have a look at http://www.sigmaperformance.com/slipperclutch-racesetup.html

I'm assuming here that the suzuki unit works in the same way as most slipper clutches. Might be you need to experiment with the clutch pack thickness & there's some interesting comments regarding slipper clutches in big v-twins.

You could also try giving Neil Spalding a call, he's extremely knowledgable and helpful. I've got one of his Sigma clutches in the R1 and he's been a mine of useful info.

Hope that helps

Thanks Monkey

It gives some good advice on the clearance's, probably aim for 1.5mm which is adjustable on the stock OEM slipper by adjusting the lifter pins.

The stock setting is 2.25 turns out from seated which on an M8 thread is 2.8mm which seems high, 1.25 turns out would be better.

The only problem is the OEM clutch has between 2 and 4 diaphragm springs that control the ramps, it's what effect playing with these I'm not sure about, less means the ramps will work against the clutch springs easier, but adjusting the lifter pins closer will have a similar effect, it's that relationship that baffles me :tumbleweed:

Was the stock TLS slipper not man enough? Just interested in why you went down a route away from OEM with uprated springs and plates. Mind, you the stock TLS setup is pretty hard to set up right...... Was that why you changed?

Was the stock TLS slipper not man enough? Just interested in why you went down a route away from OEM with uprated springs and plates. Mind, you the stock TLS setup is pretty hard to set up right...... Was that why you changed?

The stock TL clutch isnt a slipper, it's the opposite, the ramps add tension to the springs under load, as much as 5mm extra preload to the springs. The plus side is you have a light clutch lever for round town etc. The TL having a slipper as stock is quite a popular myth :tumbleweed:

If you weld up the centre "back torque" setup as they call it and add 5mm spacers to Barnett springs you end up with a mint clutch and non of the crap snatching on racing starts which plagued me for years. Brocks in the US do a custom centre which I believe is the same as the Busa one.

I'm running the supercharged TL and I make slipper conversions for the TL engine (and run one on my other 1040 TL), but because of the extra power of the supercharger I'm having to run a modified TLR clutch to stop the slip as the GSXR one is smaller diameter and the Barnett springs are still too soft. I want to go back to the GSXR slipper but will need custom springs and until I can get it working right with just 20% stiffer springs on the 1040 I don't want to go to the extra cost.

Archived