Swingarm squeak?

johnny

I've just spent the a couple of hours changing the fork oil on my xt660 and when I came to taking it off the stand I noticed a squeak from what I thought was the rear suspension. Thinking it was a dry linkage I got the spanners back out and made sure the rear suspension linkage was well greased. That was fine, but even with the linkage in bits I could still hear the squeak when moving the swingarm? So it would seem that the noise is coming from the swingarm bearing. The strange thing is that it only happens right at the end of the swingarm stroke with no load on the bike. I can sit on the bike and bounce around with no squeak and there is no play in the swingarm either.

I can only imagine it's been like this for a while as nothing at the rear of the bike has changed. Has anyone any ideas as I don't really want to try and replace the swingarm bearings without absolutely having to.

I've also given everything in the area a liberal squirt of wd40 just to see if it made a difference but no change?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Well I don't know what was going on there. Just took the bike for a spin around the block and now the squeaks gone! All's well that ends well I suppose.

It's got nearly 30k on it now so I'll keep an ear out for any noises and maybe sort the bearings out soonish. The swingarm could do with powder coating anyway.

On a positive note the new fork oil has transformed the front of the bike - which is nice.

Well I don't know what was going on there. Just took the bike for a spin around the block and now the squeaks gone! All's well that ends well I suppose.

The WD40 worked its way in. Takes a while sometimes.

Archived