Leccy rev counter

cabbie

Here's a question for leccy experts.

I bought an electronic rev counter off eBay, the guy said it works on 2 and 4 stroke engines, now, I'm a bit slow when it comes to wires etc but! the rev counter runs off a coil, so if a 2 stroke coil pulses every 2 rev and a 4 stroke coil pulses ever 4 revs how can the rev counter work on both engine and read the revs correctly?

Surely there must be two types, 1 with a 1:2 ratio and 1 with a 1:4 ratio.

no the 4 stroke coil fires every rev because its driving 2 spark plugs that are opposite ends of the 720 degree cycle and wastes the spark on the empty cylinder, on a 2 stroke i believe that they fire every 360 degrees because of the way they use reeds and piston position to serve as valves and valve timing.

You need to be careful here because you can get wasted spark two strokes and wasted spark four strokes. A wasted spark two stroke fires every 180 degrees of crank rotation. A standard two stroke and a wasted spark four stroke both fire every 360 degrees of crank rotation and a non wasted spark four stroke fires every 720. This all applies to a single cylinder setup. When you get into multiple cylinders, sharing coils and "V" engines it gets worse...

Some old school tachos on brit cars have a little switch on the back allowing you to select between several different settings. I imagine your purchase will be equipped with something similar. Hope this helps, Ben.

Hmmm that does look a little on the crude side. What motor are you planning on using it on? I have a sneaky suspicion it's set up for a wasted spark four stroke i.e. Z1000, GSXR1100, FZR1000 of 80's vintage.

sorry i wasn't even aware of the wasted spark 2 stroke! you learn something new everyday ( i learn lots of new things every day but i think its the same stuff over and over but its just not sinking in!!)

See if this link helps. Basically because your motor is fairly unusual in that it's got a 120 degree crank I reckon you might struggle getting a "generic" tacho to work. Depends how it takes it's signal though. If it's just got a sensor wire which you wrap around one of the HT leads then I think it will probably work because as far as the tacho is concerned that one HT lead is acting as a wasted spark four stroke/non wasted spark two stroke.

I'm a bit crap at explaining but hopefully this link does a much better job:

http://www.scitsu.co.uk/docs/fitment.htm

Archived