Forks swap

gook184

I'm thinking of swapping the forks on my ZX6R F2 for something upside down, like a set off a ZXR750. What other stuff will I need to have made or buy to make this a fairly simple bolt on change over? I'm not looking for race winning or cutting edge performance, just a bit of an upgrade/change.

If you are going from RWU forks to USD forks you will need to chnage the yokes. You may get away with the yokes to match the forks but you might need to swap the stems between the 2 sets of yokes.

Hope this helps fella!

Often, if you're swapping yokes, you can get away with simply changing the headstock bearings for something that suits both your frame and the new stem. Speak to your friendly bearing supplier, or take a look on these guys website to work out what you need. Your next step will be fitting the ignition key to the yokes, which if they're from the same make bike from a similar year may be a peice of piss, it's a matter of getting the bolt holes to line up. The you've got to look at if the steering lock still works off the key, if you're bothered about these sorts of things? Finally, you'll then have to see if the lockstops still work OK. If they allow too much movement people often put a screw into them, to restrict the movement a bit, and if they're too short, they grind them off and then put a big bolt into the yoke where they want them. Don't forget too; if you're putting on different forks, you'll want different bars as well. Aftermarket bars may be costlier, but will usually give you a better variety of places to put them so you don't either hit them onto the tank or onto the fairing at full lock each way. Have fun.

Thinking the same on my yzf750 but i was thinking of something a bit more new as the only real problem with the forks after a service is they are 16 year old technology. I was thinking of going with a set of modern R6 forks as the cost of trying to get the YZF750 up to scratch forks will be stupid. Had a qoute to tidy up and overhall the forks which came to £340 and thats just a service and make them look fresh again Where as i could hopefully get a full front end for that price that is nearly new.

If your going to swap mess arround with yokes stems bearings etc it might be worth thinking about this, i certanily am. But cost will keep me thinking for a while.

Yep, but if you prioritise and are willing to turn a blind eye to some things, it's dead easy. Measure the height of the headstock on both bikes, are they within about 6-8mm of each other? If so, then you're away, just get bearings to suit then you're away. Ignore the lockstops, it's easily fixable with some bolts in the yoke, and that steering lock you never used anyway, did you? Then it's just a matter of getting some bars. You like them renthal superbike bars, don't you....

Hmmm. Bars, stem, yokes, ignition, lockstops, it sounds quite involved. Something to ponder while I'm at work instead of actually working.

Nah, it's easy :) Even easier of you get a complete front end to fit, rather than messing around with spacers and stuff.

If you are going from RWU forks to USD forks you will need to chnage the yokes. You may get away with the yokes to match the forks but you might need to swap the stems between the 2 sets of yokes.

Hope this helps fella!

How's the best way of going about this, can anyone of you recommend someone to do this or is any of you capable of doing this in exchange for beer tokens/karma/ design favours?

Thinking the same on my yzf750 but i was thinking of something a bit more new as the only real problem with the forks after a service is they are 16 year old technology. I was thinking of going with a set of modern R6 forks as the cost of trying to get the YZF750 up to scratch forks will be stupid. Had a qoute to tidy up and overhall the forks which came to £340 and thats just a service and make them look fresh again Where as i could hopefully get a full front end for that price that is nearly new.

If your going to swap mess arround with yokes stems bearings etc it might be worth thinking about this, i certanily am. But cost will keep me thinking for a while.

Not necessarily the best/cheapest route. Even though a more modern front end may be less tired/lighter/better made there's nothing to say that it will actually do the job any better as standard and will still require setting up (springs/fresh oil etc) for personal preference as all OEM forks are set up for a wide range of pilots (from 8st wringing wet through to 20st+ salad dodgers).

Not necessarily the best/cheapest route. Even though a more modern front end may be less tired/lighter/better made there's nothing to say that it will actually do the job any better as standard and will still require setting up (springs/fresh oil etc) for personal preference as all OEM forks are set up for a wide range of pilots (from 8st wringing wet through to 20st+ salad dodgers).

And even if the 2 bikes are a relatively similar weight, a difference in fork length will mean that the same amount of weight will not necesarrily be placed on the forks unless you use longer ones (unlikely with modern bikes, they're usually shorter) and leave a bit poking through the top.

How's the best way of going about this, can anyone of you recommend someone to do this or is any of you capable of doing this in exchange for beer tokens/karma/ design favours?

You rang?

And even if the 2 bikes are a relatively similar weight, a difference in fork length will mean that the same amount of weight will not necesarrily be placed on the forks unless you use longer ones (unlikely with modern bikes, they're usually shorter) and leave a bit poking through the top.

Habsarutery!

You rang?

*waves* Ullo, I have a cbr600f2 stem that needs to be moved to or replicated in a cbr600rr3/4 stem/yokes setup.

You shall have PM possibly today, more likely over the weekend if that's ok with photos of the two sat beside each other and rudimentary measurements.

Cheers :bdaysmile:

Habsarutery!

*waves* Ullo, I have a cbr600f2 stem that needs to be moved to or replicated in a cbr600rr3/4 stem/yokes setup.

You shall have PM possibly today, more likely over the weekend if that's ok with photos of the two sat beside each other and rudimentary measurements.

Cheers :bdaysmile:

No probs, as long as the rudimentary measurements aren't in Macedonian cubits or anything :thumbsup:

I swapped the forks on my SRAD 750 trackbike. Put in forks from a 08 GSXR 600. Lots of advice was found on gixerjunkies, no modification was required to the yokes, new forks fit straight in. New mudguard was bought for a 08 GSXR, and as I was reusing my SRAD wheels, I needed to space the brake discs off the wheels by 2.5mm each side. I found some 2.5mm spring washers in stainless that fit the bill perfectly (remembering to do my wet wheels also!). I also needed caliper spacers, as the new forks had radial mounts and the srad runs larger discs...

By the time I had sold my old forks, it only cost a couple of hundred quid for a later front end with modern radial brakes. Looks better too... Just need a cartidge kit for the forks now...

No probs, as long as the rudimentary measurements aren't in Macedonian cubits or anything :)

Er, no... :D *scribbles out cubits and replaces for yards* :thumbsup:

Apologies for drifting the thread Gook, just that I'm on with the same scenario of changing front ends

Nah, it's easy :thumbsup: Even easier of you get a complete front end to fit, rather than messing around with spacers and stuff.

Thats what I did.

Had to press the stem out of TDM yokes to use in T/Ace ones then sort out lockstops etc..

It is hasle but think Bout it first IE length of new forks?? If they are shorter than your stock ones whats the rake and trail going to be??) how much does the doner bike weigh?? (No point stick a set of R1 forks in a Gold wing if you know what I mean!!)

Archived