Tokico caliper seals

Ascalon

So, the hyrdraulic seals in Tokico brake calipers as found on say, the 91-95 ZXR750s, are uni-directional?

Do they in fact have a tapered internal bore that should go with the narrower side facing inward?

Cheers,

A

I fitted a set of seals to my tokico calipers of similar vintage, nothing on the packaging indicated which way up and the brakes work fine. have you tried asking a grizzled, roll up smoking fitter at your dealer? They normally know everything that the parts guy can't answer.

I fitted a set of seals to my tokico calipers of similar vintage, nothing on the packaging indicated which way up and the brakes work fine. have you tried asking a grizzled, roll up smoking fitter at your dealer? They normally know everything that the parts guy can't answer.

If they are tapered mate then I suggest you face the larger side inwards as the fluid will cause the seal to expand this way (ala fork seals).

If you don't the fluid will push past, just like my fork seals did........Feck!! :icon_blackeye:

Hmm, I suspect this may not be the case for the older Tokicos, certainly in the ZZ-R and ZXR sets I have rebuilt, there was no directional indication.

A

they should be tapered, the ones i removed from mine were, it was clear they were to the naked eye.

How ever they replacement set i achieved from wemoto were not, they were parallel, i fitted them and have not had any problems at all.

hope that helps.

(there was another thread one here i while back on a similar subjust with i diagram attached, will see if i can find it)

I am in the process of stripping some 4 Pots off a TLS and they do not apear to be tapered, if they are its not obvious.

That drawing shows a taper on the O/D of the seal so the inside is still parallel, mine do not look like that the internal groove is square with another smaller grove the middle of it.

That drawing shows a taper on the O/D of the seal so the inside is still parallel, mine do not look like that the internal groove is square with another smaller grove the middle of it.

the pic is from the 1996 gsxr 750 manual and show the 6 pot caliper,

As i said earlier, mine original were tapered and the replacements were parallel. Not had any problems with them though

the pic is from the 1996 gsxr 750 manual and show the 6 pot caliper,

As i said earlier, mine original were tapered and the replacements were parallel. Not had any problems with them though

I've never done the six pots bput on any of the 4 pot Tokicos on the ZZR and ZXR models, there seemed to be no directional difference.

A

PS: It seems the taper applies to six pot Tokicos only.

As seen here in this rather good guide to the job.

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/performance-e...-callipers.html

Archived